What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watch AVI files on iPad without jailbreaking and CineXPlayer discussion

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fine Job - OPLAYER is FANTASTIC

It is now possible to watch AVI files and all sorts of codecs (XVID DIVX etc) on iPad without jailbreaking.... full story here. How to Watch AVI Video and more on the iPad

Does anyone here currently use cineXPlayer??

I discovered OPLAYER a few minutes ago and immediately downloaded that $5 app. As my header says it is FANTASTIC!

Description

OPlayer HD is used to boost your iPad's media abilities. You can also use it to streaming audio and video over HTTP.

***USB File Transfer is now officially supported!
***Mail app's attachment such as avi can be opened by OPlayer now!

You can get OPlayer for iPhone/iPod from
OPlayer for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Notes:
-Still using software decoding solution in this HD version, so the video resolution must less than 800*600. otherwise the audio/video will not sync.
-About the video not smooth issue, you can switch off the "skip frame" in the settings page.

Features:
- Play almost any video formats on your iPad. (WMV/AVI/MKV /RM/RMVB/XVID/mp4/3GP/MPG/)

- Play almost any audio formats on your iPad. (MP3/WMA/RM/AAC)

- Support audio/video streaming over HTTP. (through WIFI or 3G)
- Support USB download files by iTunes.(need update iTunes to V9.1)
- Easily wifi transfer to download media files from your PC to your iPad.
- Support FTP Client to download media files to your iPad.
- Build in web browser to download media files.
- Support ".sub" subtitle, if you only have ".srt" subtitle file, you can use Text2VobSub to convert ".srt" file to ".sub" file.
You can also get online translation here:
Conversion des sous-titres DVD du SRT et SUB
Thanks to Pierre VASKOU from france.

AND MOST IMPORTANT!

- Support Mail app attachment open with ... feature.

Help:
Please visit the web-site:
http://olimsoft.wordpress.com/software

--

That open with feature means it is compatible with things like the DropBox app. You download using your favorite file management application, select OPEN WITH and pick OPLAYER from the list. The only apps that work with this register the files they can open with iOS4. Even if they can handle the files some iPad programmers do not register with iOS and their program is only half useful from othr apps.

This is a new app and I expect any rough edges to be policshed in time but for a first time out of the box it is a WINNER.

This is another one of the few iPad applications that I can unreservedly highly recommend.
Skip a couple of beers and download OPlayer immediately!

BTW I have cineXPlayer and IMHO OPlayer is a far bigger bang for your BUCK!
and cinePLAYER is FREE!

Last edited:

igrowingboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Though iPad announced to support AVI video, it only plays AVI that is in Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) codec. If you try to play AVI movie that is in Divx or Xvid or other codec, it will still end in fail. So does the iPad 2 and the new, third-generation iPad. Is there no way to watch all kinds of AVI on the new iPad with Retina display or watch AVI on iPad or iPad 2 with LED-backlit IPS LCD display?

This article just aims to provide a simple AVI iPad Solution: Convert AVI to iPad supported MP4 or H.264 format to successfully play AVI on the new, third-generation iPad iPad or the 1st & 2nd generation iPad at How to Play AVI on the new iPad 3?

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1, used a few and have found AVPlayerHD to be the best... for me anyways. Never failed and has played every format I have thrown at it.

babyboyhappy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for sharing igrowingboy.
though your method helps me to watch avi on my ipad without jailbreaking

but it will be better, if it is totally free

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use AVPlayerHD but I have no idea if it is the best or not because I have not invested in or tested other players. But I am happy with AVPlayerHD.

What I don't really get is where folks get all these avi and other types of files from. I convert all the content I play on my iPad from my own DVDs and Blu-rays. I must be living in a slightly altered version of reality. :) Just kidding y'all here (second paragraph, not first).

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I use AVPlayerHD but I have no idea if it is the best or not because I have not invested in or tested other players. But I am happy with AVPlayerHD.

What I don't really get is where folks get all these avi and other types of files from. I convert all the content I play on my iPad from my own DVDs and Blu-rays. I must be living in a slightly altered version of reality. :) Just kidding y'all here (second paragraph, not first).

Case closed?

image-200150131.jpg

Or am I being slightly too cynical here?

Most reactions

Latest posts