What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wary about the Ipad 2

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, what a coincidence.

I too have been eyeballing the ipad 2 with similar concerns as OP!

I just joined this forum (after weeks of lurking around and reading here) to make a thread like this!

Ipad 3 rumours concern me alot, I don't want to shell out £400 or more for a device that may be outdated before Christmas.

There are many good reasons iPad3 won't happen this year. First of all, there is little competition to drive the need. Vaporware is everywhere and the hype is high but not believable. Apple is setup to deliver up to 4 million iPad2's per month. Setting up to build iPad3 (that no one knows what it is) is just not unreasonable in a business sense. They just introduced iPad2.

You make a good point with the numbers.

But what about that "anonymous Apple staff member" who said the following:

The Apple employee told CultofMac, "For the iPad 2, don't get your hopes up too high. That's all I'm going to say."
Immediately going against his previous statement, he then went to clarify, "They've had a number of problems along the way, and the third-generation iPad is the one to make a song and dance about."

There have been rumours that we'll see a third iPad hit the stands later this year, and this particular source told the website that the iPad 3 is indeed on track for a launch later this year.

Has this anonymous Apple staffer ever been right?

Kirwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are many good reasons iPad3 won't happen this year. First of all, there is little competition to drive the need. Vaporware is everywhere and the hype is high but not believable. Apple is setup to deliver up to 4 million iPad2's per month. Setting up to build iPad3 (that no one knows what it is) is just not unreasonable in a business sense. They just introduced iPad2.

The Apple employee told CultofMac, "For the iPad 2, don't get your hopes up too high. That's all I'm going to say."
Immediately going against his previous statement, he then went to clarify, "They've had a number of problems along the way, and the third-generation iPad is the one to make a song and dance about."

There have been rumours that we'll see a third iPad hit the stands later this year, and this particular source told the website that the iPad 3 is indeed on track for a launch later this year.

Has this anonymous Apple staffer ever been right?

He is right though, as the iPad 3 will likely see Thunderbolt support at the very least (maybe better cameras). If there was a patent for a Dock connector style thunderbolt/USB3 adaptaor. That should cut down on sync times...maybe even let the iPad play as a supplement monitor touch interface for Macs.

I don't think well see it this year. Not with the iPad 2 selling like gangbusters.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, what a coincidence.

I too have been eyeballing the ipad 2 with similar concerns as OP!

I just joined this forum (after weeks of lurking around and reading here) to make a thread like this!

Ipad 3 rumours concern me alot, I don't want to shell out £400 or more for a device that may be outdated before Christmas.

I suspect that employee is no longer an employee ... This is not Apple's style and I suspect it is bogus and a plant. I don't believe this for a moment. Perhaps iPad3 will be fabulous ... no one knows what iPad3 is or when it will be made available. Apple just released iPad2 and it is blowing the socks off the competition (whatever that is at the moment)

Last edited:

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Observations - bleeding is non-existent

Perhaps I have a later March 11 issue as I waited a whole hour before ordering mine. They sold 300,000 that day and mine has no such problems. Flash? Non issue if watching TV on yours is your concern. I have over 600 HD channels available on mine, crystal clear. (SlingBox)

Xoom? They have now sold 100,000 copies since release. Apple has sold 3.5 million iPad2s just since March 11. That goes a long way toward explaining why there are virtually no apps for the Xoom, 360,000 apps for the iPhone/iPad, 65,000 specialized for the iPad alone.

Worked fine for me on my iPad, works fine for me on the iPad2.

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps I have a later March 11 issue as I waited a whole hour before ordering mine. They sold 300,000 that day and mine has no such problems. Flash? Non issue if watching TV on yours is your concern. I have over 600 HD channels available on mine, crystal clear. (SlingBox)

Xoom? They have now sold 100,000 copies since release. Apple has sold 3.5 million iPad2s just since March 11. That goes a long way toward explaining why there are virtually no apps for the Xoom, 360,000 apps for the iPhone/iPad, 65,000 specialized for the iPad alone.

Worked fine for me on my iPad, works fine for me on the iPad2.

600HD channels on your ipad or tv? Whats SlingBox?

Sorry I'm true iPad noob!

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&client=safari&sa=X&ei=evKcTY-qA4bmsQOk1fXqDg&ved=0CCkQBSgA&q=slingbox]slingbox - Google Search[/ame]

Basically a DVR (digital video recorder) that can stream it's contents to you over the Internet. In effect it creates your own personal on demand service.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my experience using that swifter program, it's really bad. Everything is very laggy and unusable with it. I haven't tried skyfire yet

OP
K

Khenic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my experience using that swifter program, it's really bad. Everything is very laggy and unusable with it. I haven't tried skyfire yet

Hmm, see this isn't encouraging.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Websites like YouTube seem to play flash videos just fine, even in the safari browser. It's that swifter program that is laggy.

But it's only certain sites that you can play flash video. Dailymotion.com videos play fine also with safari. I don't know if they are doing something different than normal flash or what.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Khenic said:

I'm very new to the iPad, so I could be wrong also. That swifter app is very crippled and limits you to only 60seconds unless you buy it,so it's very hard to even test. The Daily Show website did seem to play when I tried, but others would know more than me about this. Scrolling web pages with the iswifter app is annoying for me.

OP
K

Khenic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Khenic said:

I'm very new to the iPad, so I could be wrong also. That swifter app is very crippled and limits you to only 60seconds unless you buy it,so it's very hard to even test. The Daily Show website did seem to play when I tried, but others would know more than me about this. Scrolling web pages with the iswifter app is annoying for me.

I think I'd be ok with that, I think, as long as I could stream flash from comedy central I'd be a happy person.

It's too bad that right now I can't even buy an iPad 2 since my local Best Buy hasn't had stock for almost a week and I can't reserve, rediculous!

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Two Cents

I had not desire WHATSOEVER to purchase the original iPad. In fact, I thought it was just plain silly, and a waste of good hard earned money. Then I caught the "iPad2 Bug" and what a BITE that was! After having every version of the iPhone, this iPad is AMAZING. I understand your concerns, but keep in mind; Apple is a company that stands behind their product 100%, so if you experience issues, they will not hesitate to make it right for you. I received my iPad last Friday and I have been doing the "happy dance." Why settle for less, when you can have the BEST?!?!:)

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I came across the Ipad after toying with my brother's Ipad at Xmas time. That led me to get one for Xmas. Following the release of the Ipad2, I donated my old one to my nephew and got the white 32. As posted in another topic, that one dropped and cracked the screen. Picked up a 64gb and started my Amex protection claim. Bored, I went to the Apple store and showed it to them. They are replacing it free of charge calling it a stress crack in plastic under the glass.

Apple has always been great with customer service. The complete opposite of Dell. This is partly why I have multiple Ipods and now Ipads and an Iphone. When funds allow, I will get a macbook as well.

Something new is always around the corner, so why wait...

Most reactions

Latest posts