What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*WARNING* 3G service

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just wanted to put this out there for those that have not yet signed up for 3G service.

The iPad uses a lot of data. It seems that you could easily use up 100+ mb per day with regular usage. I have been averaging over 100 per day with normal browsing. This is with out streaming video. There are a number of other people out there noting the unusually high cunsumtion rate.

In the interest on science please post your average.

I wonder what overall load AT&T has seen on their network the past few days..

Remember that data usage is accrued going both ways. Requests sent from the iPad count toward your data usage. It's not a great amount of data however.

Yeah, I dont know how anyone is gonna stay under the 250mb. I used the ipad lightly for a few hours and used over 100 mb. I have no idea why its using such a high amount of data. No streaming video....although some streaming pandora.

I'm guessing it's because the screen is over 6 times the size of my iPhone plus HD. My solution for this month is to keep it off until I need it although I m sure I'll run out about mid month.

Since its delivery Friday around 11am, I have blown through <600 MB of data. I don't have a wifi home network, but I didn't do streaming vids, either.

I don't have a 3g model yet, but I'm waiting on it. What's the montly fee for unlimited bandwidth? I was paying $70/month for a Verizon aircard and I'm pretty sure the iPad unlimited pricing is less than that.

From my 3G experience in Europe/Germany I can tell you, that you should opt for 1GB/month. Even on my iPhone I was scratching that data-volume almost every month.
If you don't want the unlimited plan, then buy the wifi hotspot flatrate as well.

Since Friday afternoon i'm at 500+ Meg used and that is on Edge, so there is a lot of stuff I don't do. I cannot even imagine how much I'd have used by now if there was 3G out in the sticks where I live!

I think the "unlimited" iPad plan is actually capped at 5Gigs. That's a lot until you start downloading movies. I've been using a 64G wifi iPad since the launch and have been able to get by without the 3G decently well. I did pick up a Sprint Overdrive mobile hotspot to try out and used it sparingly the last few weeks while traveling (rather than pay the $15 per day hotel Internet charge). I also have an unboxed 32G 3G iPad sitting on my desk (since the 3G launch last Friday). Only reason I haven't opened the 3G is because I'm not 100% sure I need the 3G, interesting dilemma huh....

The unlimited plan is truly unlimited with no 5gig softcap. AT&T has stated several times when asked, that it was truly unlimited, with no nasty letters from them no matter how much you use!

I wonder how long that will last. Once Jailbroken, and tethering to a PC, I am sure people will use the 3G connection, as their main ISP downloading tons of gigs a month from Usenet, bitorrent, http, etc.. I would hate to see it abused, and the price raised.

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back