What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G Data Usage Heads Up...

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I signed up the data service on 5/3 and in 10 days of "rarely if ever" using 3G and I'm already at 253.7MB of data usage. Those of you thinking of taking the lower priced option don't bother. I got the unlimited just in case and I'm glad I did. I have 3G on most of the time but almost always have a strong wifi signal at home except for the odd times I'm just out of the router's range. Any one else see some crazy 3G data numbers without using it a whole lot?

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It adds up pretty quickly. However, I use 3G pretty frequently. When I'm at home or at work, I turn off cellular data (3G) to increase battery life... but during my morning and evening commutes, I like to stream audio over 3G. I listen to Pandora radio, NPR, BBC, etc. In about a week, I have racked up about 500MB of 3G usage.

My recommendation for folks on the $15 plan is to turn off the 3G when you aren't using it. Your battery will last longer, and you won't be using data for push services or other unexpected connections. This is especially important if you are overseas using a more expensive plan.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I said that when it was announced that the 250MB plan was BS. Go to 2 or 3 sites and you are already there...web content is very heavy these days and offering a 250MB limit is just a joke. Considering all the media delivered daily that isn't even enough to check email for a month!

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i used to have Criket boardband wireless set up before going to a cable internet set up .the wireless boardband was great at the firsr of the month and you cleared out the old gb use counter ..but for some reason when you hit the 5.gb mark they slow down the speed ..they said they do not but they did ..

like everyone else out there who says unlimited is not really unlimited plans.. that way if look at sprint --verizon --att-mobile-they all limited to 5.gb of data use a month.

to me when i buy a unlimited plan i want a unlimited plan..i looked sprint unlimited plan for the phone for $.69.00 dollars it does not allow for you to call a land line like a office line..only 450 mins for roaming and land line use..

maybe it me but when i bury a plan that unlimited i really want a unlimited plan across the boards ..

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
i used to have Criket boardband wireless set up before going to a cable internet set up .the wireless boardband was great at the firsr of the month and you cleared out the old gb use counter ..but for some reason when you hit the 5.gb mark they slow down the speed ..they said they do not but they did ..

like everyone else out there who says unlimited is not really unlimited plans.. that way if look at sprint --verizon --att-mobile-they all limited to 5.gb of data use a month.

to me when i buy a unlimited plan i want a unlimited plan..i looked sprint unlimited plan for the phone for $.69.00 dollars it does not allow for you to call a land line like a office line..only 450 mins for roaming and land line use..

maybe it me but when i bury a plan that unlimited i really want a unlimited plan across the boards ..

Always be weary of "Unlimited" plans in general. Take for example web hosts who give you unlimited storage, bandwidth, etc... there is always a catch, and in the fine print most of them state they can terminate your plan at anytime.

I think 5G of mobile bandwidth is fine for a month usage, it just makes people connect to WiFi whenever they can, something AT&T WANTS their users to do anyway. I don't really see myself using 5G of data on an iPad unless I watched 20+ hours of video which I guess for people who travel a ton could be an issue... but like Comcast's argument, 5% of their users use up 95% of their bandwidth.

AT&T probably loses money on people using more than 5GB of data, so they'd like you to go elsewhere anyway. They want to focus on the people they make the most profit off of, and that is the people that use slightly over 250mb and under 5GB.

raylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. I signed up for the 250 plan and after two weeks of hardly using 3G I am almost at the limit. I find that the Ipad does not automatically select Wi-fi when available. In my case I have to disable 3G. Never-the-less this thing is a blast.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
you should have your email set to upade only when you manualy tell it to also if you pick the lower cost data plan.

checking for new emails and other things that the iPad/iPhone do in the background do use a lot of data that you wouldnt even notice.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that why i stayed with the whole Wifi ipad and basic use what ever place iam at Wifi ..i really do not want a another bill just so i can connect everywhere ..

i have the AT&T plan that cost me a $.115,00 dollars a month as it is ..so why add a another bill to the pot ..

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The unlimited iPad plan is truly unlimited. It has been stated many times, and supposedly it was part of their deal with Apple. AT&T reps have stated that unlimited means unlimited for the iPad, and that you would not hear from them no matter how much you use. I'm up to nearly 2 gig since the 30th, but I have no wifi. If I lived in a 3G area, I'm sure I'd have even more use, as I don't view much video on Edge.

Most reactions

Latest posts