What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to use M/O Word and b able to use Flash Drive

Jeep Dawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, Sorry to be so stupid, but I'm Brand New to IPad. Ok, well, anyway, I'm wanting to be able to use Microsoft Word as well as Microsoft Excell documents on my IPad for work, and then be able to send them to a Flash Drive via the Camera connector, and then print the documents, but seems to be NO way to do it. Anyone know how it can be done ? Or can it ?
Thanks in advance for any help.

iPadIssues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Quickoffice Premium for the Microsoft word and PowerPoint compatibility but i know that it can create and edit excel documents too. The only app that i can think of that MIGHT be able to do what you're looking for is Pages. I seriously suggest looking up iPad office app reviews on YouTube so that you can find what you're looking for. Good luck :)

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I second that. Docs to go is one app that might work for you. I think the other is Office Pro HD?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And ... don't forget the capabilities of Dropbox. You can create/edit many things on the iPad using any/all of the apps mentioned above. I haven't used any of the mentioned apps except DocumentsToGo and that one has the capability to upload to Dropbox. Then, you can access the document with your desktop computer and print away. The bennies of Dropbox is that you can put it on any machine and use it. Also, you can access documents in it from your iPad. So, no matter which app you decide to use, I'd recommend ensuring it has Dropbox sync-ability.

Look at me! A walking, typing commercial for Dropbox! :D But, IMNSHO - it's that good.

Marilyn

OP
J

Jeep Dawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ya kno what, I think ur right. I guess this bad boy will be going back to the store. I REALLY wish it would have worked. Thanks Guys.

OP
J

Jeep Dawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guy's, It's me again, I did take my IPad back to the store, but I've been doing some more research, and I think I MAY be able to use my documents that I wanted to. Not that you guys care, but I'm a Cop, and what I wanted the IPad for was to be able to take it on a scene, do my report there, and then just simply print it when I got back to the precint. Problem is, that everything is Microsoft based documents. I THINK, now after further research, I can use the Docs to go app, and save them and try and e-mail them to myself at the office, and then print. Got an appointment with the guys at Apple today to make sure, then gonna get another IPad. We'll see. Oh, BTW, never buy anything from Best Buy that costs over like $300.00, and pay cash for it, they can't give you cash back. They have to send you a check for it (which I STILL haven't recieved) Imagine that. Just food for thought.

crappa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been using Docs To Go for excel, and sync up to laptop for printing and backups. Designing ss should be done on computer, Docs To Go is to awkward.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guy's, It's me again, I did take my IPad back to the store, but I've been doing some more research, and I think I MAY be able to use my documents that I wanted to. Not that you guys care, but I'm a Cop, and what I wanted the IPad for was to be able to take it on a scene, do my report there, and then just simply print it when I got back to the precint. Problem is, that everything is Microsoft based documents. I THINK, now after further research, I can use the Docs to go app, and save them and try and e-mail them to myself at the office, and then print. Got an appointment with the guys at Apple today to make sure, then gonna get another IPad. We'll see. Oh, BTW, never buy anything from Best Buy that costs over like $300.00, and pay cash for it, they can't give you cash back. They have to send you a check for it (which I STILL haven't recieved) Imagine that. Just food for thought.

As one of the previous respondants suggested, Apple's Pages App is Word compatible and Apple's Numbers App is Excel compatible. They even read Office 2007 format files. You can download/upload documents via WiFi or 3G to the Apple MobileMe server and access them from your office PC. Or you can print directly (wirelessly) to a wireless printer. This printer needs to be Apple AirPrint compatible (very few around at present) or you can install a free app on your office PC (if it's wireless) to make it emulate an AirPrint printer (the document then prints out on your regular office printer). Another less sophisticated option is to email the document to yourself from the iPad, or you could 'sync' the iPad with your office PC and copy it there.

The Apple Apps are pretty good, though not perfect. If your documents have complex formatting, they can struggle but 'straightforward' ones work fine. I would try to find a colleague or friend who has Pages, or your own choice of app, and try it out with the documents you need to use. Or maybe your Apple store would let you try it out on one of their iPads.

Good Luck.

Tim
Scotland

bimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you need the document to be microsoft office based, then your best bet would be docs to go.
One of the great features of docs to go is synchronization with apps like Dropbox or Sugarsync, so you can actually save your reports online to dropbox. When you get back to the precinct you can retrieve the files from your dropbox folder on your desktop (need to install the dropbox software on your desktop) and then print out.
Another alternative is to get one of the wireless printing apps, like Print Central, then you can print directly from your iPad to the printer over wifi or 3g.

OP
J

Jeep Dawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool, I'll give these options a try and see what kind of luck I have with them. I really like the IPad, and really want to be able to utilize it at work, that way I can justify it for personal use ( Or Play) Lol. Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions.
Timmy D.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given the sensitive nature of your documents, using a service like DropBox or iWork might Not be the best idea. Documents To Go will allow you to keep a folder on your PC in synch with your iPad with their synch tool, and don't need to use iTunes.

The synch tool pairs your iPad to your desktop which might be useful too.

Most reactions

Latest posts