What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

want bigger buttons on "ipod" on ipad

readzalot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my first post, after my introduction post. My special needs son does not have very good fine motor control. He really wants to use the ipad for his music, but he cannot use the small buttons on the ipod section on the ipad.
I have looked at the itunes store for an app, and I have checked the display/accessibility options on the ipad, but I can't find anything.
I assume someone somewhere has the answer, so here I am.
Can you help?

KILLERkpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not aware of any apps that would increase the size of the buttons when using the ipod interface on the ipad.

Are you talking about the play, pause, forward and rewind buttons?? They are about the same size of the HOME button....

I know you said he has a tough time with motor skills but have you tried maybe a stylus for him?

Last edited:

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I remember reading about an app a long time ago where it made it easy to control music while driving. I don't remember what app it was, but I did find this: GestureMusic. In the review section, the review mentions what other apps he's tried, so check out those too.

They do exist, so hopefully these apps and their reviews will lead you to one that is suitable for your son.

Good luck!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yeah there are a few apps that let you use the full screen size to control the music by doing gestures like swiping from left to right on the screen.

flicktunes
FluxTunes
LeechTunes
Swipe Music Player
SongSwiper

These apps were made to make it easy to control the ipod app while driving so you dont have to even look at the screen.

OP
R

readzalot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, folks! I downloaded the gesture music app, and will see if he can use it. I will check out the other ones, too. They are cheap enough that we can check to see which we like the best.
The swiping isn't ideal for him, but because it is a very broad swipe, he might be able to catch on to it. They are pretty cool apps. :)

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Hey, I think I found what your looking for

its called Big Button Music Player. it devides most of the screen into pause, back and forward.

its an iphone app but should scale up in the ipad just fine.

OP
R

readzalot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
big button music player

Mike - Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. We will try both the gesture music app and the big button app, to see which works for him

My son has a significant cognitive disability as well as physical limitations. But he loves the ipad and music. This is going to be great for him.

All you folks are so wonderful to have found all these apps. I have told everyone how supportive this apple forum is.

:) Deb from Canada

Philippe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally think most of the buttons could use a size increase, it's like if most of the programmers are still thinking with sharp little mouse pointers when in reality we're using stubby fingers now. I'm looking at the iPod and Safari mainly. At night when it's dark and I'm half a sleep it's hard to find the play/pause, previous, next buttons; and the Safari tabs and bookmarks bar is just plain painful...

The iPad's screen is massive compared to other mobiles (and even compared to all those 7 inch slate-tablets that are on the horizon), it seems wasteful and even disorganized to just leave most of it unused like that.

OP
R

readzalot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
big buttons needed

I agree, Philippe - it seems like just laziness that they haven't made the buttons bigger. How much effort would it take? (Not to mention that stupid little search bar on the iTunes store...)
D from Canada

Philippe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well like I said I do think it's more disorganization than true laziness or spite, remember this (the Pad) is a relatively new technology. The hardware is well laid out, they just need to perfect the software.

I'm still not convinced about their arrow-less on-screen keyboard, for example.

OP
R

readzalot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Big Button Music app

Well, folks, my son got to try the Big Button app, and he could use it right away. Thanks again for all your help.

And, yes, maybe it isn't laziness, but just that no one has got around to resizing the buttons yet. Still, all things are possible with apps.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Believe the new iWriter app has a keyboard with an extra row on the top giving you arrow keys amongst others.

Still early days yet with the iPad and more apps are pouring in.
It really is just a screen allowing you to interact directly with the software.

Most reactions