What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring music libraries from Ipod TO Itunes

wgm51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know a way to get my old music library on an iPod into iTunes on my iPad (or new MacBook pro )? Every time I plug the iPod into the MacBook it asks if I want to wipe the iPod and sync new stuff from the MacBook and gives no option to do the reverse. We are missing all our old music!! Love the sound from the iPad so would love to just plug iPod into iPad and play away!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If all the music was bought on the same iTunes account or added from other sources through the iTunes program, this should work.

In iTunes under the File menu you should find Transfer Music from my iPod (or something similar). Once your music is on the MacBook Pro, you will be able to sync it with your iPad.

You will also be able to go ahead and let iTunes wipe the iPod and sync new stuff. Be careful and check to make sure your music really did end up on the computer before doing this. Also be sure there are no photos or other content on the iPod that you don't have saved somewhere else and don't care to lose.

The first thing I recommend you do is open iTunes, with no device plugged in, go to Preferences, Devices, and check the Prevent iPods, iPhones, iPads from automatically syncing. This will prevent any changes from taking place until you are ready.

Last edited:
OP
W

wgm51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If all the music was bought on the same iTunes account or added from other sources through the iTunes program, this should work.

In iTunes under the File menu you should find Transfer Music from my iPod (or something similar). Once your music is on the MacBook Pro, you will be able to sync it with your iPad.

You will also be able to go ahead and let iTunes wipe the iPod and sync new stuff. Be careful and check to make sure your music really did end up on the computer before doing this. Also be sure there are no photos or other content on the iPod that you don't have saved somewhere else and don't care to lose.

The first thing I recommend you do is open iTunes, with no device plugged in, go to Preferences, Devices, and check the Prevent iPods, iPhones, iPads from automatically syncing. This will prevent any changes from taking place until you are ready.

Thanks, I thought there should be a way to do it. I did have to change my apple id when I came to the US and cancelled my old email account in Australia. Will give it a go when I get my wife off the MacBook ... She is playing a game and it is her birthday so I will have to wait!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on PC and I use Sharepod to copy and backup files from my iPod into my computer (iTunes or otherwise). From there, the files can be uploaded to any device (including iPad), which is exactly what I've done.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I have 90+ GB of music on my iPod, which has been painstakingly compiled from over the years (and some of those files have been through 2, 3 devices.) To not have it backed up would be a massive loss if anything happened.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A great deal of it is classical, opera, ballet and film score music, which tends to be measured in hours rather than minutes. (I've been working in orchestras and music festivals since 1998, so in a way it's part of the job.)

Most reactions

Latest posts