What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waited in line, got IPad 2, probably will return it

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USBill said:
I don't know that they "own" the market. The iPhone is one phone and amounts for nearly as many devices as all the Android phones combined. That's like comparing sales of the Corvette with all the other cars on the road.

I'd be interested to see how Apple's competitors react as well. The problem is that Apple has a very solidly-entrenched first-mover advantage, coupled with its highly popular products, which makes difficult for rivals, no matter how good they are, to gain enough of a foothold. Look at other businesses with a similar position: Google in search engines, Facebook in social networks and Windows in operating systems. Even though a competing product might be 'better', it simply can't dislodge the market leader in that space.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
lol at this post.

an android user buying the ipad 2 because of looks, with no research into what actually it does. money well spent :)

and i'm not a particular apple fan, but dont expect android tablets to be anywhere near as popular as apple's for years and years to come.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the tipping point for me was VLC media player. You can "stream" movies to your IPad but not copy them. Why NOT be able to copy them over? Because Steve Jobs doesn't want me to? That's irritating as hell.

You can copy them over although I think with VLC player you need to do this through iTunes over USB. I would recommend OPlayer which I think is a more complete player and you can pull things down to the iPad from a NAS over Wifi in addition to via iTunes.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's what disappoints. I am blown away how much IPads CAN'T do. It's too locked down. I don't want a hardware extension of ITunes, with all it's limitations. I want a tablet that actually does things computers do.

IPad isn't it. Unfortunately, Android hasn't released the IPad competitor yet.
i feel you on that. i'd love to have a full functioning OS on a tablet. i wouldn't care if it's windows or osx (i have tried ubuntu on my tablets but too much was broken at the time). there are options out there right now, but they really don't seem worth the price for the quality and are still too bulky. right now i think the ipad is the best tablet out there. i can't wait for android tablets to make something that wasn't rushed to beat ipad out the door (xoom) or tied to a phone carrier - these aren't frikken phones!

overthetop75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like above you can copy movies into vlc. Open itunes and select your ipad. Now click on the apps tab. Scroll to the bottom and any apps that allow file sharing will be down there. Now select vlc and just drag your movies right in. Yes, it would be easier if it came up as a drive on your pc or mac but this is almost as easy. Now I can play all of my avi movies. Also I got the zoom also and have a droid x as my phone. I am returning the xoom today because the screen is just not at the same level. I think if they put android on a tablet the size shape and quality of the ipad I will jump ship forever.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
it's too locked down. I don't want a hardware extension of ITunes, with all it's limitations. I want a tablet that actually does things computers do.

Funny I have not used my Macbook since last October and to put this in perspective the ipad can do far more in a shorter time than my computer can do not to mention operating it for 10-12 hours before a battery charge.

I am sorry but I cannot understand why you stood in line to buy an ipad2 without any knowledge of what you are buying yet the ipad has been out for 10 months and has been featured in every tech magazine that is out there. So what is the ideal so called mobile tablet computer whatever you call it that is best for you maybe you should look at the new Toshiba, Asus or Samsung win 7 tablets coming as they will better fit your requirements but keep in mind they will be heavier and further more much more expensive. Frankly you would have been better of with a Macbook Air.

No one ever stated the ipad is for every one and again if you finally buy an android tablet or a Rim, Hp or what ever I guarantee you will suddenly find something you don't like about that product as well. As for being locked down as you put it what do you really want out of the ipad. Every one in this forum now some 36,000 plus members have individual requirements and yes a few are not happy and thats fine but the real funny part once the users whom came in complaining to the forum understand what they really have we find they cannot stop talking about how it has changed their lives or how fantastic it is to use.

The fact is that millions of users of iOS do not care if it is locked to itunes. The products just work.

I personally have in my household a Macbook plus 4 iphones 2 ipod touches and a ipad plus Apple TV.
All devices back up and sync to the Macbook then the Macbook backs up to an external drive. Each user has a different itunes play list installed plus picts and Apps and emails and also Address books. The Apple tv has all the music plus all the photos and many movies I have purchased as well. I also switch between Apple stores with out any problems If changes are made on any iphone or ipod touch or Apple TV and the ipad not to mention the Macbook they are automatically updated next time we sync and not once in the past 2 years have I had issues or major problems using itunes . As I said it just works.

I agree that itunes has be come bloated and has issues mainly on the PC platform plus searching for stuff can be an issue but regardless most users don't care. At some point not far away all will sync via the cloud so a " computer" ie laptop, net book or tower will not be needed.

I wish you the best in selling the ipad2 and also hopefully before you make your next purchase of a mobile computer you will at least do more research so you do not suddenly find out that it to is unsuitable and again want to return it.

Last edited:

Landshark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents - I bought an Android tablet in August 2010, I thought it was the greatest thing, but in reality it wasn't. The Android 2.3 operating system was designed for a smartphone not a tablet, a lot of the apps wouldn't display right, the GPS barely got a signal, there was almost monthly firmware updates from the manufacturer, there was a lot of "Force Close" errors. It just wasn't smooth running and I'm very techie. Luckily, I sold it on eBay for a good price and then bought an iPad and let me say, it's been great with the iPad, haven't had any issues, runs all the apps nice and smooth.

Bottomline is, Android Tablets have a long way to go before they can be compared to an iPad.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree entirely with what Col.bris said (do you live in my house!!!). I would also add that IMHO most of these types of postings miss the point, the iPad as a tablet is a new way of doing things, you have to be open enough to think in a new way to get the most out of it......if you want an old beige box in a glass drinks tray then you've missed the point. There are some restrictive areas with it but app developers are breaking down these restrictions quickly, as has been the way with all breakthrough areas in computing.

I only open my MacBook now to do a spot of website building or using the more advanced Photoshop Elements but apart from that it is just a hub now for all my other devices.

If you put the time in doing searches on the App Store, the complimentary Apps designed to help you find what you want and forums such as this then as long as you do it with your eyes and mind open you will find a great cutting edge device. If you don't, and with all the coverage and reviews out there, you only have yourself to blame if you end up with something you didn't want.

The Archangel

SouthernGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm something fishy about this poster. You decide the iPad 2 you waited in line for isn't for you and you take the time to make an account on the iPad forms to come here and tell us your switching to an android?

Some facts:

Yes the android based OS smartphone market is the largest. I think i read its 28% i may be wrong. iPhone is 16 or17% i believe.

Android apps to date : 30,000 +
iPhone apps to date : 350,000 +

Now seeing a device is only as good as the software why aren't more developers behind he best selling OS on the market?

Now tablets. Android has the Xoom. It shipped with 16 apps. Those apps by the way were phone versions blown up to fit the tablet screen.
iPad 1&2 have now 70,000 + apps. No.... android will not come close to apple. The longer they take to get a competitive tabet to market the better the iPad gets. Not to say android won't get it right eventually but apple is still lightyears ahead.

Also realize this. The iphone launched with 1 single carrier...AT&T...now Verizon hs it and more will get it in the future.

I say take it back and spend that $100 dollars and sit in the corner waiting for your miracle. I'll be over here having a blast and doing exactly what i do on my comp on my iPad 2.

Last edited:

ThatIpadGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ya the problem with the Motorola Xoom is that once your done surfing the web, there isn't anything to do. I own a Droid phone, but knew the ipad2 was for me. Once I'm done surfing the web with the ipad2 I can play World of Goo or Pinball for hours. The apps make the experience and the Xoom wont accomplish this for years

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
To the original poster, I also think it depends on what ou want to do. The Ipad does some nice things I like to do with my business. I had a Motorola Xoom and, it is a nice device but, I still don't think it's even close to what you may want to do.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good idea and I did that.

I actually put it on Craigslist yesterday. No takers.

Put it on Ebay tonite, for a 24 hour auction. No takers yet.

Hey, I wanted to like the IPad. I waited in line for hours. And for what the IPad does, I DO like it.

It's what the IPad doesn't do that makes me go meh. If I were rich, I'd keep it and buy a real (fully capable) tablet when Android finally gets it right (the Xoom is almost it...not yet).

Again, if the IPad were functional like a Mac instead of semi-functional like an IPhone, then I'd be all over it.

I think the tipping point for me was VLC media player. You can "stream" movies to your IPad but not copy them. Why NOT be able to copy them over? Because Steve Jobs doesn't want me to? That's irritating as hell.

Anyway thanks for the advice. It's sold by tomorrow or back to Best Buy on Saturday.

I copy movies over to my iPad all the time and can watch them fine. A little research and you can find out how to do most things on the iPad.

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
That's a good idea and I did that.

I actually put it on Craigslist yesterday. No takers.

Put it on tonite, for a 24 hour auction. No takers yet.

Hey, I wanted to like the IPad. I waited in line for hours. And for what the IPad does, I DO like it.

It's what the IPad doesn't do that makes me go meh. If I were rich, I'd keep it and buy a real (fully capable) tablet when Android finally gets it right (the Xoom is almost it...not yet).

Again, if the IPad were functional like a Mac instead of semi-functional like an IPhone, then I'd be all over it.

Anyway thanks for the advice. It's sold by tomorrow or back to Best Buy on Saturday.

I copy movies over to my iPad all the time and can watch them fine. A little research and you can find out how to do most things on the iPad.

Yeah, I got 10 movies on my Ipad, that I converted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions