What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

voice chat using bluetooth = impossible?

swi7ch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just spent the last hour or so on Google looking for that one magic app that will let me use my bluetooth headset to voice chat with someone to no avail. My bluetooth headset works fine (on YouTube, listening to MP3s, etc.) it's just that the one app that will let me voice chat (Skype) doesn't switch to my bluetooth headset when voice chatting so everyone around me can here the conversation.

Anyway, just want to be absolutely sure that at this point, there is NO app (free or otherwise) that will let me use my bluetooth headset to voice chat with someone, correct?

Thanks.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need a bluetooth headset to voice chat with someone on the ipad. There is a microphone on the top left corner next to the headphone jack. I use Whistle to make calls. It is so easy. I don't have a bluetooth headset that will allow me to hear the calls through it. I would just plug in a headset and use the microphone on the ipad.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In order to be able to use the headset as a microphone, it has to have A2DP capability built into it. The Plantronics Pro that I have does not have it, but the new Plantronics Pro Plus does.

IPadGangseter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just spent the last hour or so on Google looking for that one magic app that will let me use my bluetooth headset to voice chat with someone to no avail. My bluetooth headset works fine (on YouTube, listening to MP3s, etc.) it's just that the one app that will let me voice chat (Skype) doesn't switch to my bluetooth headset when voice chatting so everyone around me can here the conversation.

Anyway, just want to be absolutely sure that at this point, there is NO app (free or otherwise) that will let me use my bluetooth headset to voice chat with someone, correct?

Thanks.
I'm as FRUSTRATED and MAD as you are and have spend more than an hour looking for a compatible B tooth headset. Did you find a solution. Apple really jerked us IMO. In this day and age no one uses wired headsets and after plunking down my hard earned cash to buy an IPAD Im not about to spend 30 more bucks to buy some antiquated Apple wired headset when I got a B tooth headset laying around. Am willing to buy a new A2DP one but ONLY if the mike works. Is that too much to ask? Can someone help?

I need it to work with Skype.

IPadGangseter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In order to be able to use the headset as a microphone, it has to have A2DP capability built into it. The Plantronics Pro that I have does not have it, but the new Plantronics Pro Plus does.
You have tried it and confirm to us that it works or is your post just hearsay? Please clarify. Thanks.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I must apologize to everyone for assuming that the A2DP headphones would work with Skype on the iPad. I researched a little and found this on MacWorld.

"Bluetooth stereo headphones: We tested a number of stereo Bluetooth headphones; all paired quickly with the iPad and routed most audio—for example, audio from the iPod and Video apps, and sound from games—through the headphones. However, audio from the Skype app wasn’t routed through the headphones, and for those Bluetooth headphones that included a microphone, that microphone did not work with Skype or audio-recording apps. In addition, as with the iPhone, if your Bluetooth headphones provide on-headphone controls, the only playback control you get via Bluetooth headphones is volume level and a play/pause toggle. Here’s hoping iPhone OS 4.0—or, even better, an update to iPhone OS 3—finally brings us AVRCP, the Bluetooth profile that allows full playback control via Bluetooth headphones and speakers."

I guess it's Apple that has crippled our iPads for the microphone part of a headset. Hopefully in the next update they will remedy this.

Again, I am sorry that I assumed these headsets would work. Normally they would if the right thing was turned on in the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts