What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making phone calls using Bluetooth headset

edg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to use my Bluetooth headset to make phone calls but it's not working, I have to use the mic and speaker, I know the problem is not my headset because I can listen to music using it. So far I've tried Whistle and some other apps.

I've noticed that some apps would sound through my headset when started but as soon as I start dialing it switches to the mic and speaker.

Is there a SIP/VOIP app that works with bluetooth.

Thanks for any help.

OP
E

edg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype on the Ipad only works with a plugin headset or or the built in mic and speaker.

That is not what I asked, I would like this to work with my bluetooth headset.

There must be a workaround to do this.

Thanks for any help.

cbertrand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using iPad as a phone

I've made phone calls with Skype and Truphone, but haven't been able to find any program that will work with my Bluetooth. What plug-in are you using that works? I'd rather use that than the built-in mic and speaker for phone calls. Thanks!

SWAGGER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluetooth wont work on IPAD

I have done lots of research on this and Have found that the bluetooth headset will not work on IPAD for skype or for any other phone app unfortunately. It will only work to hear audio (stereo). I am in the process of researching whether or not it will work with the ipad 2 or with OS 4. I had the original version and it definetly wont work even spoke with apple tech support and they confirmed it. That was about 8 months ago so maybe it will work on either new OS4 or on ipad2.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Each Bluetooth device is associated with a specific 'profile'. Different classes of devices have different profiles - the iPad supports some and not others. For example, audio headsets are supported but Bluetooth printers are not.

A handsfree bluetooth headset - of the sort used by the iPhone to make and receive calls - has a different profile to the sort of audio bluetooth headset used for listening to music.

A complete description of all the Bluetooth profiles is provided here.

Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tim
Scotland

Seanreit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, the answer is written out in the FAQ of an app called "Line 2" in the appstore. It turns out that the ipad bluetooth profile is not HF 1.5 compliant, only A2dp compliant.

so stereo sound, no microphone. If it was HF 1.5 then you would have microphone.

I'm going from memory from what I read, so if I have a charachter out of place above, don't shoot, but conceptually, I promise I'm very close to what I read.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see why people want to use the iPad as a phone. To me it's just not made for that purpose, I have a phone when I need to make a call I'll use that.

Has anyone tried to use gmail's phone? It would be outgoing calls only, but that might be a way to do it. I'll give it a try and report back later.

I believe there is a microphone because I was using it last night with the Sound hound app.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
hookbill said:
I don't see why people want to use the iPad as a phone. To me it's just not made for that purpose, I have a phone when I need to make a call I'll use that.

Has anyone tried to use gmail's phone? It would be outgoing calls only, but that might be a way to do it. I'll give it a try and report back later.

I believe there is a microphone because I was using it last night with the Sound hound app.

are you referring to google voice? If so, it is outgoing and incoming.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see why people want to use the iPad as a phone. To me it's just not made for that purpose, I have a phone when I need to make a call I'll use that

I've got Line 2 on mine because I find it handy for conference calls (I have to do 2-3/week) and it doesn't eat into my phone's minutes or battery life, plus the iPad's mic and speaker seem to work better than the itty-bitty ones on my 5 year-old Samsung.

Most reactions

Latest posts