What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virus on my iPad?

johtoloisto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad started to auto-command itself. First some extra letters when writing a note, then scrolling the page. Now closing software and opening another by it's own. Now the latest thing is that if I open my notepad, it starts erasing the text and typing something else on it =(

This is my first mac, and I've always thought that no anti-virus is necessary. Or is it?

My iPad is NOT jail-broken, and I've downloaded apps only from Apple apps store.

What is going on?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest you hold down the off key and home key until the apple logo starts. Then see what happens failing that do a full restore in iTunes no no virus issues most likely either a memory issue or corrupt system. Hope that helps

iPadBiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is going to sound funny.. Turn off your blue tooth. See if that fixes the problem.

OP
J

johtoloisto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I rebooted the machine, but the problem is still there. I guess I have to install the whole system again.

OP
J

johtoloisto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is going to sound funny.. Turn off your blue tooth. See if that fixes the problem.
Nothing sounds funny after having those odd WiFi connection problems with this machine too ;-)

Bluetooth has been off all the time, but this issue DO have something to do with the network though, since as long as I'm offline this issue does not arise, but soon after I switch my WiFi on and connect to the net, the problems start again...

Reaction score
I actually experienced this very same issue starting this weekend. I contacted Apple support and the tech I worked with had not heard of this. I restored the device twice, the second time not even restoring my apps or data, ensured all network devices are off and it continues. Apple is replacing my device under warranty. The behavior started as I attempted to preview a movie on the iTunes Store on the device (Toy Story 3). Pretty strange.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a secure network? Have you tried connecting to a different network and seeing if the issue arises? That way you can rule out if its device related or network related.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a secure network? Have you tried connecting to a different network and seeing if the issue arises? That way you can rule out if its device related or network related.

Wouldn't make much difference in the scheme of things. The iPad should not be able to be remote controlled, even on a completely compromised network.

David Vice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man that sounds terrible!!!!....Wish you guys all the luck with that. So what if it happens with mines I can contact apple and get a new one?

Reaction score
video examples

I posted 3 short video clips of the issue in both landscape and portrait orientation since it changes which apps get opened. You can see them at

gallery . me . com / tlpwis (ignore spaces between words, dots and slashes - Sorry for the format, the formum won't let me post a URL because I don't have enough "points".)

PS...me network is completely secure, and this happened with or without any wifi or 3G enabled at all.

David, assuming your device is under warranty, goto Expresslane.Apple.com, create an incident and schedule a call-back appt. For me that worked great. They provided a repair number and all I had to do was take the device to the nearest UPS store. Apple will replace the device hopefully yet this week.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is the link.

I posted 3 short video clips of the issue in both landscape and portrait orientation since it changes which apps get opened. You can see them at

PS...me network is completely secure, and this happened with or without any wifi or 3G enabled at all.

David, assuming your device is under warranty, goto Expresslane.Apple.com, create an incident and schedule a call-back appt. For me that worked great. They provided a repair number and all I had to do was take the device to the nearest UPS store. Apple will replace the device hopefully yet this week.

Here is the link. I am posting it for the benefit of others to try and help.
Looks to me like some kind of hardware problem. Like a keyboard getting stuck on a PC

MobileMe Gallery

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Exact same problem I am having, I am working with Apple Support right now.

Total restore did not help.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Somethings to check. Do you have a screen protector on it? Have you tried cleaning the screen with a soft cloth and some form of approved solution - normal screen cleaner should be adequate?

OP
J

johtoloisto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys

just to give you a short recap.

I took my iPad to a local vendor and they were familiar with the problem.
It is a hardware problem, so they changed the device. The new one works like a charm.

And the problem with the WEP key I had with the old one (wasn't able to log in to few WiFis) vanished at the same time. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts