What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virtual/onscreen Cyrillic keyboard?

Cyrillic keyboard?

• Total voters

1pad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone with an iPad, kindly tell me if there an option to select Cyrillic as the onscreen keyboard?

According to the user guide (p.19/20), go to:
Settings > General > International > Keyboards > Add a new Keyboard

How easy is it to have two keyboard languages installed and switch between them?

Thanks for looking.

PS Cyrillic is an East European alphabet.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are the keyboard choices

Pressing the key to the left of the spacebar changes keyboards.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you do the post with the pics from the iPad?
I just wonder, how to upload pictures to a webserver, so I can link them into the thread

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP

1pad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your fast replies. Really nice to visit a forum like this.

SteveNYC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ignore my vote. Incorrect

Ignore my vote. Made a mistake. As others have said, adding a Cyrillic keyboard is easy. Switching between the English keyboard and the Cyrilic keyboard can't actually get much simpler. There's a simple globe key to the left of the space bar that toggles between the languages. It's very impressive.

Tifusar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not complete cyrillic keyboard, only Russian version. True international keyboard is yet to come... Like on iPhone...

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is not complete cyrillic keyboard, only russian version. True international keyboard is yet to come... Like on iphone...

Я благодарен моим друзьям в Украине, читать русские

not2fly1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not complete cyrillic keyboard, only Russian version. True international keyboard is yet to come... Like on iPhone...

This looks the same as the iPhone's Cryllic keyboard. I can't remember if the iPhone has a separate Ukranian/Bulgarian/Kazakh/Belarussian keyboard or not. . .

Tifusar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like, but is not. For example, when on iPhone I choose Serbian as language, I have option of choosing Serbian Cyrillic or Serbian Latin keyboard, with all glyphs which appear in Serbian on those keymaps

iPad100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the cyrillic keyboard can be selected at ease, and yes, there are numerous choices (Russian - PC, Russian, Russian - Phonetic).

The problem is that they all provide the same keyboard. I can understand there being no difference between Russian and Russian - PC, but Russian - Phonetic on the Mac works of using the standard English keyboard sounds of the letters typed the generate the Russian characters (so, type 's' and get 'c'). This does not happen on the iPad.

Secondly, the Russian/Cyrillic keyboard lacks some important Russian punctuation keys. In general, Russians would write «Шерлок Холмс» instead of "Шерлок Холмс", but the « and »characters are missing from the keyboard (not on the number or symbols sections of the keyboard).

It's surprising that Apple have made this blunder, as they are usually pretty slick with the details. But they've dropped the ball on a couple of items with the iPad, showing an uncharacteristic inconsistency in the quality of their product. I suspect this will loosen up with future updates as they stop trying in vain to force users to use Apple products to support their iPad:

(1) The retarded Photo App is absolutely unmanageable as a viewer or organiser of photos on the iPad - this forces users to buy a superior 3rd part app to perform this function. ;)

(2) The lack of WiFi transfer support for apps like Pages/Keynote is ridiculous - come on guys, it's a mobile device! Don't make us plug in a USB and use iTunes to transfer docs in/out, when apps like GoodReader allow transfer via WiFi, Web Server, as well as the archaic "string 'n' tin cans" approach of iTunes and a USB cable! :confused:

I would post screenshots of the 3 keyboard views, but apparently there's a rule that I most post 3 messages on the forum before I can add attachments - as I'm new this is my first post - sorry. :(

iPad100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, following on from my previous post here (I posted on a couple of other threads so I now meet the '3 posts' criteria - sounds like someone at Apple is making forum policy! :p ), here are some screenies of the Cyrillic keyboard, with the lack of « and » characters:

Attachments

• rukeybd1.jpg
    rukeybd1.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 496
  • rukeybd2.jpg
    rukeybd2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 583
  • rukeybd3.jpg
    rukeybd3.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 469

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Добрый день и добро пожаловать на форум!

To be honest, I still do most of my Russian and Ukrainian work on my "real" computer, but at least I know I can use my iPad in a pinch if I have to.

iPad100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Добрый день и добро пожаловать на форум!

To be honest, I still do most of my Russian and Ukrainian work on my "real" computer, but at least I know I can use my iPad in a pinch if I have to.

Yeah, it's not a showstopper, and as you point out, you still need a 'real' computer for 'real' work, but it would be nice for Apple to get the details right. I'm not sure where to submit this 'bug' in the hopes Apple may update the keyboard layout - any ideas? :confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts