What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

View linked data (wiki?) stored on iPad

illusio_diamond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear iPad community,

I'm looking for a way to store and view linked electronical data on my iPad.

Use case:

My mom is a tour guide. She has a lot of information to bring along, which she currently collects in word files and prints out and then has trouble finding again when needed. Because of the linked nature of the information, I'd go for a wiki, to prepare at home and then display on the iPad when needed. But at that time an internet connection is not given (tunnel, countryside) so everything needs to be stored on the iPad.

I see two ways to achieve this (there might be more):

1) Install php and set up a php webserver on the iPad, set up a wiki locally and store all the information directly on the iPad.

2) Set up a wiki at my web hosters, prepare the data when there is an internet connection and copy the data to the iPad with an offline wiki reader configured for my domain (at home).

Problems and thoughts:

- Is it possible to install php and a webserver on an non jailbreaked iPad? I'd rather not jailbreak my moms iPad...

- IMHO using pdfs poses the same problem of finding information as paper.

- I haven't yet found a wiki reader both configurable and offline ready.

-A 10 step process might be ok for me but again this being for my mom it should be simple. I'd rather not introduce another app like SiteSucker to copy the data.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sarah from Switzerland

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Illusio_diamond

Welcome to the forum.

One way round is to download the required documents into a WP app such as Pages. You can group the documents in folders, and run searches for phrases etc.

I realise this doesn't answer everything, but hope it is of some help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know you said you don't want to try another app - but what about using the cloud service Dropbox? When you sign up, you get 2G of free storage. Then, you can download a free app to access the online storage.

The reason why I recommend Dropbox is that you can set up files to be "Favorites." They will still be stored in the cloud, but they can be saved (like a bookmark) to the iPad for offline viewing. The cool part is that the documents are updateable - you can make changes to the file, update it in Dropbox and then, on the iPad, sync the updates before you go out (and thus lose WiFi).

Have a look at this link as they explain the process much better than I: https://www.dropbox.com/help/87

Maybe it's worth a look?

Marilyn

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This seems like a good way to use Evernote or OneNote with the Outline+ app. I use OneNote and sync on Dropbox. That way the information is available on my PCs and the iPad and always synced. You could set it up at home and your Mom can access it on the iPad. Perhaps a little more information on the type of data your Mom needs would help.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Google has launched a cloud type app called Google Driv. This may be worth a look.

I've tinkered with it and it has promise :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
I

illusio_diamond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone and thank you for your input, it is very much appreciated!
But I'm afraid I'm still not convinced.

Maybe I wasn't clear about it but I'm talking about A LOT OF information! The following list is by no means complete. The information I'm talking about contains amongst other things:
- extensive research on all the countries visited (up to 4)
- lists with all the routes travelled by train/bus and the places of interest
- list of customers
- lists of bus drivers, hotels, restaurants
- walks and trekkings
- sightseeing
- description of the trip as booked by the clients (to counter things like "but it said we would see this and that!")
- "scripts" of the courses of each day
- what information to give the clients at what time
- correspondence with the office
- tips by other tour guides
- the above each come in summary and detail

Now the problem with a folder structure is the following: the information about the waterfall which can be seen from the train, where does it go? Does it go into the folder "country", "day number three", "train routes" or "infos for customer"? I know myself, wherever I'd put it, in the heat of the moment I'd look in the other three places first. With e wiki type of information storing I could have a link to the waterfall on each of these pages.

I think the sheer amount of the information makes evernote the wrong choice (I'm very fond of evernote myself and use it every day!). Because of the "folder nature" both Dropbox and Google Drive (which again I use and love) are also the wrong choice. Pages would excel in synchronizing between mac and iPad, but for a search to work you need to know what you're looking for which doesn't work with names (e.g. hotels).

Hmm, this seems to be a tough nut to crack. Thanks for not giving up on me.

Greetings from Switzerland,
Sarah

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Illusio,

That's quite an ask! Briefly, you may do well with a database. There are several databases free or paid in the App Store. Search for Databases.

I've had a quick look at the descriptions and reviews of some offerings.......

The first one, Database for iPad is still on version 1.#. Which indicates to me that the developer may have given up sorting out bugs etc. this is borne out by the users' reviews.

The second one is HandDBase for iPad. It cost £6.99, but looks to be an excellent relational database.

Now, there is another approach. Have you investigated iFiles? It's a great filing system in which you can create folders and sub folders for files of data. It has a pretty cool search facility.

HTH

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with this project.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
I

illusio_diamond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Richard, I'll review those Apps. Hope they're also awailable in the Swiss store :)
Sarah

PS I'll now be offline for a month and resume this project after my holydays

Most reactions

Latest posts