What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Report Highlights the Danger of Unprotected Printer Servers

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Something a little different here for the news page. It’s a video that was posted on the forum by Good karma, who thought it contained some useful information for forum members, and we think so too, hence we’re highlighting it on the main page. Basically, it’s a 30-minute programme that focuses on the dangers of smart printers. In particular, it looks at HP’s ePrint and WebScan features for their new printers, which enables you to print from a mobile device simply by sending an email to the printer, even when you’re not home. The video also points out that these printers now come with a web server that can broadcast to the Internet, but which is unprotected, with the password disabled, which some people may not be aware of. In the video, it shows how the investigators have been able to start thousands of scanners remotely and access sensitive data.

I know this is something that some of you out there will already be aware of, but I certainly wasn’t, and it’s well worth watching if you’ve got a spare 30 minutes. A very interesting investigation.

[FONT=&quot]Source: [/FONT]Big thanks to forum member Good karma for the heads up on this story.

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Maura for helping to get the word out. This was important info that Good Karma wanted to share with IPF members. :)

Ski ~
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
You're very welcome, thanks for telling me about it!

Thank you Maura for helping to get the word out. This was important info that Good Karma wanted to share with IPF members. :)

Ski ~
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Most reactions