What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Converting Mega-Test!

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks! I spend hours trying to convert a HD file and do not lose any quality. I bought a long time ago AirVideo App (For iPhone, and now supports iPad), which does a pretty impressive Video Stream, and does Convert HD file on computer very well. You can convert with it, and than transfer to iPad, and the resolution is great, as the Quality.

MKV File - 22:42 - 1280x720 - 558mb
After Convertion using AirVideo
M4V File - 22:42 - 1024x576 - 381mb

And the quality it's really good. I will try maximize the resolution for the next time.

I try Xilisoft Video Convert, to convert without resize the resolution, but the file size has double. I tried convert to HD h.264 MP4

Cool tip! I saw that you can somehow add it to iTunes automatically. Is that before or after conversion? I didn't quite get that part.

yobigc99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice post Numblock, truly appreciate the work that's gone in.

I've gone ahead to use Format Factory as well, I like it very much, my only gripe is that it's slow (having used Xilisoft Ultimate Video Converter as well which allows for the use of a multi-core processor to do your conversions faster - works great for me as I have a quad core). Do you know if there's a setting in Format Factory that allows for multi-core? Or any other tool that is FREE but with multi-core support?

Also for Format Factory, based on your recommendations what seems to be working great for me is:

Type: MP4
Codec: H264 (AVC)
Bitrate: 2400
FPS: 24
Resolution: 1280x720

For the sound I do a sound boost, since the iPad's speakers are a bit tiny, so I increase the DB by 10-16, you can always bring it down later

Cheers,

GMNIMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The native resolution of the iPad is actually 1024x768 so encoding a video to 1280x720 (720p) for the iPad is unnecessary as the player has to downsize the video to play it.

At 1280x720 the aspect ratio(AR) of the movie is a perfect 16:9. Unfortunately it is now extremely rare to find any movie which conforms to that aspect ratio. I now find movies having ARs of anything from 40:17 to 80:33 to 640:267.

If you force your video converter to encode a 1080p movie with an AR of say 640:267 to fit into a resolution of 1280x720 at an AR of 16:9, you will find the Converter filling black bars above and below the movie images. This causes your final file to be larger than necessary and giving more data for the video player to process in order to play it. And remember that the iPad video player has to again downsize the movie to fit the 1024x768 resolution of the device. All these are unnecessary overheads for the A4 processor to handle.

My video conversion workflow goes something like this…

First I would determine the actual resolution of the movie which at 720p can be something like 1726x720. So in order to fit into the landscape width of the iPad (1024), the height has to be 427.2.

I then use AVS Video converter to create a custom profile as follows:

Video Codec:H.264/AVC
Frame Size: 1024x427
Bitrate: 2400
Frame Rate: 24fps
Audio: 48000 Hz at 320kbps.

Using a 3GHz Quad Core, it takes about an hour to convert a 4.7Gb 720p MKV video to a 1024x427 iPad friendly MP4 video which tips the scale at around 2Gb to 2.5Gb in size.

Test the resulting file in QuickTime and you will see the video tightly bounded within the player without any black bars above and below the movie.

Just my personal experience and I thought I’d share this here.

Cheers.

Last edited:

ratykat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just come across this thread from google, wanted to register just to drop my 2pence about dvd straight to ipad:

im using xilisoft dvd to ipad for my ripping of genuine DVD's. im still a noob so im probably not getting the most out of the program, but ripping to mp4 @ 640x480 with everything normal (video and audio quality). videos are coming out at a gb, but stream perfectly on my home network to my ipad/xbox and play perfectly. on the xbox (which is hooked up to a 50" telly) it looks just as good as dvd.

prehaps this would rip the star trek dvd numblock?

vitesse67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Star Trek (UK version) on my iPad.:ipad-movie:

Ripped with DVDFab ver 8 and then encoded using Handbrake to H.264 in a MP4 file. Nothing to it!

Stg_Macca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, nice tutorial (I signed up due to this).

(first post)

I have been using format factory for a while now, and previously had no issues with it. Since attempting to convert files to Ipad, it has been problem after problem lol.

I have my entire DVD collection stored as iso and FF can read these, however I think mounting them and then treating the mounted file as if it were a DVD is best as it eliminates the need to merge vob files etc.

In your tutorial you suggest to set the output at 50% of original resolution. Can this be done in FF? I can't see this option.

Thanks

Last edited:

Stg_Macca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I have had some success with a TV Show in .avi format.

video was 624x352 and I used 100% as the video size (note only 50% and 200% were default options). Taking into consideration that I didn't want to increase the resolution, or make it any smaller, I assume this was the correct choice.

I have attached both the original file info and my output settings, using the op's recommended settings where applicable (I believe).

I haven't received my ipad yet (arrives tomorrow) however on an iphone 4 it is full screen and quality appears great. Is this a good indication? With the DVD files I did first, I had black bars and couldn't get it to fill the screen - I was however using fixed resolution.

Anything I have done right or wrong? I would love to know if I am doing this correctly before I go any further with my conversions.

Thanks

Attachments

• test1.JPG
    test1.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 576
  • test1_output.JPG
    test1_output.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 700

Stg_Macca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1st post from my new toy (iPad arrived today). I confirmed all my video conversions have been successful, so good news!
Also grabbed the app for this forum, works great.

If anyone has any further tips or believes I can improve my conversions please let me know!

Thanks

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great test man...appreciate it! But is there anyway to remove those black bars and watch the movie in FULL ipad screen? Not zooming..Native at gud reso

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
can someone answer my question? how to fill the full ipad screen? without bars?

clement

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the app can convert video from any website? Because I find some app could be convert video from certain websites.

Most reactions

Latest posts