What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VGA TV issues

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the apple VGA connector & cable & was using an app to stream from MacBook pro to iPad & then trying to connect to tv - the app works fine & shows the tv as being connected but I can't find the movie showing on the TV. I am in Australia if that makes a difference to answers (PAL) .. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you mean that you can't select, the input for the VGA input on your TV. You need to go into the TV settings, and enable the input for VGA. On most TV's it not on by default and must be turned on in settings. You will then be able to select VGA from your input menu listing. Then you should be able to watch the TV from your iPad over VGA. You will not have sound thru the VGA cable, you will need to have a 3.5mm male plug, for the iPad, with male RCA connectors on the other end, to connect to the TV's audio input and then assign, in TV settings, that input to the VGA video input. Pair them up, so to speak. Can't be specific, do to many variations from TV manufactures on how the menus and setting are displayed and used.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a key on your remote that says something like "Input(s)" try cycling thru the options for a VGA or PC choice. If you have a VGA connector on the TV, there must be a way to access it.

OP
S

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for your response - they are really appreciated. I have just gone back to work this past Monday so not as attentive to my 'fun' stuff lime forums as I was - but I would really lime tom sort this issue so will sit down tomorrow & try to find out where the VGA input is as you suggest .... Will let you know & thanks again :))

andjoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does your TV have a VGA input? Do you have the manual? If not Google the model number and you should be able to find it.

Or you might like to swap the VGA adapter to a Component AV Adapter.
MC917

That is where you have 5 RCA plugs, 3 are video, Red, Green and Blue, the other two are the audio that are split away from the others as Red and White. They are mainly on the modern LCD and Plazma TV's as does the VGA inputs.

If you have an older TV with just Composite plugs, Yellow for video, White (if mono) and Red (if stereo) you would need the Composite AV Adapter.
MC748

Both are $45 from Apple.

All these adapters only view photos and video onto the TV or computer monitor with the VGA adapter. You don't see the iPad screen and very few games will play on the TV and I haven't got any that work, so guessing it must be the expensive games.

Hope that information helps you, good luck and hope it works for you soon.

andjoh

OP
S

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Such great info - thanks guys !

I have the VGA working at work from a digital projector no problems at all& one of the TV's is fine but the other doesn't like the iPad at all!
My home TV is still resistant but this is actually not as important as having the ability to use it at work - I will keep trying & following suggestions - hardest part is getting half an hour in the day where there isn't someone watching the LCD TV so I can sit down & try to figure this out! ..lol

Thanks again :)

Most reactions

Latest posts