What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

very tough time ahead 4 jbers

socalpimp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple kills of jailbreaking then I stop ugrading my iPhone and stay on the JB version I have. This means that soon after the itunes store will not let me make purchases so I stop doing that. In the end it will cost Apple money , I will not shop at app store any more and not buy new iphones.

This is the same borg mentality that almost put Apple out of business before and in the phone arena that are plenty of people to take up the slack.

Yeah! their stock prices and business model will collapse with your one man boycott.....instant bankruptcy

Last edited:

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple kills of jailbreaking then I stop ugrading my iPhone and stay on the JB version I have. This means that soon after the itunes store will not let me make purchases so I stop doing that. In the end it will cost Apple money , I will not shop at app store any more and not buy new iphones.

This is the same borg mentality that almost put Apple out of business before and in the phone arena that are plenty of people to take up the slack.

Yeah! their stock prices and business model will collapse with your one man boycott.....instant bankruptcy

Blunt but True.......Your voice will mean nothing to Apple. The ONLY way they will listen is if MILLIONS of people boycott....and even then I doubt they will listen.

I have SOME respect for Apple but I will say this.....They care nothing about the users opinions for the most part.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have SOME respect for Apple but I will say this.....They care nothing about the users opinions for the most part.
I always chuckle when I see comments like this! Apple happens to be one of the most successful corporations in America today. They have a net worth of over $222 billion dollars. Their closest competitor in the technology field would be Microsoft with a net worth of a measly $219 billion dollars. As a matter of fact, the only American company with a higher net worth is Exxon Mobil.

Since the introduction of the first iPhone, Apple has sold over 160 million iOS devices and to go with all those devices, over 10 billion apps.

A company simply does not reach this level of success by ignoring the opinions of the buying public.

Take a look at General Motors. After the financial crisis, they did nothing to change their business model to account for the loss in sales and eventually went bankrupt They were forced to sell off several of its brands and would be out of business had it not been for the federal bailout. In other words, they kept running their business the way they wanted to and ignored the buying trends of the car buying public.

Now take a look at Ford. They saw the financial crisis coming. They scaled back production to those models that were top sellers, not models that they thought people should have like Saab, Hummer and Saturn. As a result, they did not need a bailout from Washington to stay in business.

The bottom line is that you stay in business and are successful because you respond to the buying public, not by ignoring them!

zrb0529

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always chuckle when I see comments like this! Apple happens to be one of the most successful corporations in America today. They have a net worth of over $222 billion dollars. Their closest competitor in the technology field would be Microsoft with a net worth of a measly $219 billion dollars. As a matter of fact, the only American company with a higher net worth is Exxon Mobil.

Since the introduction of the first iPhone, Apple has sold over 160 million iOS devices and to go with all those devices, over 10 billion apps.

A company simply does not reach this level of success by ignoring the opinions of the buying public.

Take a look at General Motors. After the financial crisis, they did nothing to change their business model to account for the loss in sales and eventually went bankrupt They were forced to sell off several of its brands and would be out of business had it not been for the federal bailout. In other words, they kept running their business the way they wanted to and ignored the buying trends of the car buying public.

Now take a look at Ford. They saw the financial crisis coming. They scaled back production to those models that were top sellers, not models that they thought people should have like Saab, Hummer and Saturn. As a result, they did not need a bailout from Washington to stay in business.

The bottom line is that you stay in business and are successful because you respond to the buying public, not by ignoring them!

I agree on that one. Jailbreaking hasn't got anything to do with Apple. The JB community is comparatively a minority when you look at the whole ecosystem of iOS devices and, technologically speaking, there isn't really much of a reason to do it. Sure, you can add features that you think should exist but don't but other than that, what's the net benefit? I say this having jailbroken my iPad as soon as I got it home, same goes with my iPod Touch. I un-jailbroke my ipad, though, because it's not worth the hassle, because I actually use it for work.

Most people who jailbreak are doing it because they want to buy cracked apps, not because they want to 'add functionality', most of which is pointless anyway. Take multitasking, for instance. Other than listening to music and reading what benefits do you gain on an iPad from it? There really aren't very many. I've written papers, researched topics, blogged, created graphics for projects, played various musical instruments and created keynote presentations on my iPad, often mixing several of those activities together and never really needed to 'multitask', especially being as people aren't really capable of multitasking anyway (look it up before you go bitching about how I'm wrong)

The small group of people who do jailbreak to add missing functionality are losing other functionality, such as the ease with which you can restore your iPad incase something goes wrong and the ability to reboot untethered (for those who JP with latest redsn0w).

I jailbroke my iPad to use it tethered to my BlackBerry for internet, but now I've bought a Clear iSpot and use it instead, faster speed and better reliability, so the tethering was a novelty that to me wasn't worth the hassle

So what it comes down to are that most jailbreakers are what would be referred to in the hacking world as 'script kiddies', people who use tools with no real reason or understanding of how they work, and there are only a few people who do it for idealogical purposes. Saurik or whatever his name is being one of those few, though I call even that into question because he gets a cut of money made from Cydia purchases and is also now quite the hacking conference rock-star.

I think Apple will continue screwing with JailBreakers because they think it's fun, engineers are like they - they love challenges, and thats exactly what's going on, Apple engineers are playing a game against the jailbreakers who are also engineers, and eventually one side will win even if Apple does it by releasing a new product with tougher firmware.

So, does Apple listen to it's customers? Steve Jobs personally responds to emails sometimes, who else does that? The JailBreak community created 'multi-tasking' and then Apple released it into 4.2.1. The community wants cameras, the iPad 2 has 2 of em...yeah, I think they listen.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, does Apple listen to it's customers? Steve Jobs personally responds to emails sometimes, who else does that? The JailBreak community created 'multi-tasking' and then Apple released it into 4.2.1. The community wants cameras, the iPad 2 has 2 of em...yeah, I think they listen.

Thats not listening. Those are Apples well documented cases of planned obsolescence.

Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence[1] in industrial design is a policy of deliberately planning or designing a product with a limited useful life, so it will become obsolete or nonfunctional after a certain period.

Apple does this with almost all of its products, and certainly its mobile products. 256 MB ram on the iPad with no multitasking and no cameras? Hey, right after launch, lets introduce the new iphone with FACETIME, sorry iPad for no camera. Oh, the iPhone we launched a month after the iPad has double the ram, sorry iPad. Here you go iPad, get a taste of multitasking, but we will make it obviously limited by ram so that you want to go out and get our new iPad 2, now with 1GB of ram!!!!! Oh, BTW, that Facetime thing that our phone has done for 11 months now, yea check out our new iPad2 that can do it as well.

Last edited:

zrb0529

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry but 'planned obsolescence' is a stupid idea. If company A, lets say Apple, was to create a product that literally does everything that will ever be possible for anything to ever do only then will it not be guilty of 'planned obsolescence'. But even then people would complain about it. If company F, lets say Ford, had, for example, created what we can only describe as the Tardis from Dr. Who instead of the Model T, even then people would complain about it..."OMG It doesn't do Flash!", "OMG, It doesn't have 1 increment of memory of what it has! OMG Why did they do this to meeeee!"

Does every company that makes anything make something and then release it incremental builds? Yes! Why? Because that way they can make money, not to 'screw the customer'.

If company S, for example, invented the straw, and then the flexible neck straw, and then the crazy straw, and then the extra long and more sturdy straw for drinking thick drinks through had, instead of first creating the initial straw, only invented the sturdy bendy neck crazy straw, then sure they would have sold well, but not made nearly as much money...and no one has been screwed...let me explain...

If you buy an iPod Touch 1st generation and then 1 year later Apple releases an iPod Touch 2nd generation that has a ***** feature built in, or what ever it is that makes it better, that doesn't mean you got 'screwed', it just means you bought an iPod Touch 1st generation, and now there's a new one out.

Last edited by a moderator:

sh0nuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The one Cydia app that I can't do without is LockCal, which puts my events on the lockscreen.

It might seem like a small thing to JB to get, but without it my scheduling just falls apart.

I work for a major Telco in Canada, and teach others how to use phones, so I cannot JB my main work 3GS, but my iPad is a different story.

I'd honestly consider using an Android, but the one think that really holds me married to Apple is the soft keyboard. Although Swype comes close, there's really nothing that comes close to Apple's autocorrect when I want o type quickly and accurately.

As someone who has over 9 current mobile devices, I still rely on my Apple...

sh0nuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thats not listening. Those are Apples well documented cases of planned obsolescence.

Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence[1] in industrial design is a policy of deliberately planning or designing a product with a limited useful life, so it will become obsolete or nonfunctional after a certain period.

Apple does this with almost all of its products, and certainly its mobile products. 256 MB ram on the iPad with no multitasking and no cameras? Hey, right after launch, lets introduce the new iphone with FACETIME, sorry iPad for no camera. Oh, the iPhone we launched a month after the iPad has double the ram, sorry iPad. Here you go iPad, get a taste of multitasking, but we will make it obviously limited by ram so that you want to go out and get our new iPad 2, now with 1GB of ram!!!!! Oh, BTW, that Facetime thing that our phone has done for 11 months now, yea check out our new iPad2 that can do it as well.

You do have a point, but Apple releases new iPhones every summer. Although getting the latest version might be tempting, the majority of users are on 3 year contracts for these devices, so only upgrade every 2 or 3 versions.

However, its not that tough to always have the most up-to-date device if you are wise... 85% of consumers don't follow Apple's release dates like fanboys do, so a few weeks prior to the new device to be released, sell the old one, jailbroken and unlocked for 65-75% value. Then use this $$ towards the next one.

Ive been doing this since the first iPhone, and always spend around $200 to upgrade every summer. Thats a pretty minimal investment to stay on the cutting edge...

ipadzombie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple can keep locking down... and it will only drive more customers who seek freedom to "Think Different" and switch to Android.

OP
M

mathen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think apple should be thankful to jailbreak community,because they are worlds best software testers,they take real pain to find out flaws in each version of software,which apple engineers missed,even after exhaustive in-house testing.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those are Apples well documented cases of planned obsolescence.

Apple does this with almost all of its products, and certainly its mobile products.
You make it sound like Apple invented this business practice and is the only one who does it! EVERY company that makes something does this because that's the only way to stay in business. There is nothing illegal or even immoral about it.

So you are going to protest this horrible business practice and buy an Android-based smart phone or tablet? After all, if you read some of the posts on this forum, one would get the idea that these are the companies who "get it" and are really in tune with their customers' wants, needs and desires.

Here's a news flash... I guarantee you that Acer, Dell, Garmin, Kyocera/Sanyo, Lenovo, LG Group, Motorola, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba and every other company who makes Android driven products engage in this practice.

As a matter of fact, you don't want to buy a product from a company who does not practice this! If they don't practice this, that means they are not keeping up with the latest in technology. Technology changes daily! The fact that Apple updates their iOS devices only once a year is more of a marketing strategy than a result of technological advances.

zrb0529

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if android is so wonderful how come the G1 sucked so much? and I suppose the G1 -> G2 upgrade wasn't 'planned obsolescence' ? Or the Droid to the Droid 2, or the HTC EVO to the HTC EVO 4G...RAZER to the RAZER 2, chocolate to chocolate 2, BlackBerry 8703e to BlackBerry Bold....none of that is planned obsolescence but iPad 1 to iPad 2 and Powermac G4 to iMac 2010 is? How is that fair? It's ridiculous, that's what that is.

And lets not even get started on the multiple sub-releases of Android that they push out like every week, just to keep people quiet about Android 3 not being released yet.

But I suppose that isn't planned obsolescence either? Nah, that's Google loving everyone and supplying them with an endless amount of rainbows and gum drops.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those are Apples well documented cases of planned obsolescence.

Apple does this with almost all of its products, and certainly its mobile products.
You make it sound like Apple invented this business practice and is the only one who does it! EVERY company that makes something does this because that's the only way to stay in business. There is nothing illegal or even immoral about it.

So you are going to protest this horrible business practice and buy an Android-based smart phone or tablet? After all, if you read some of the posts on this forum, one would get the idea that these are the companies who "get it" and are really in tune with their customers' wants, needs and desires.

Here's a news flash... I guarantee you that Acer, Dell, Garmin, Kyocera/Sanyo, Lenovo, LG Group, Motorola, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba and every other company who makes Android driven products engage in this practice.

As a matter of fact, you don't want to buy a product from a company who does not practice this! If they don't practice this, that means they are not keeping up with the latest in technology. Technology changes daily! The fact that Apple updates their iOS devices only once a year is more of a marketing strategy than a result of technological advances.

That simply isn't true. I have an Android phone, and at the time I bought it there was not a single component of it that was not top of the line. Nothing was left off or left for the next version. The manufacturers of Android handsets cannot afford to practice planned obsolescence due to competition from the other Android phone manufacturers. Apple has no such competition among its own devices. That is why magically every new phone build is somehow allowed to do a new thing with regards to the OS, and Apple can pass it off as "waiting to do it right" and fanboys eat it up.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if android is so wonderful how come the G1 sucked so much? and I suppose the G1 -> G2 upgrade wasn't 'planned obsolescence' ? Or the Droid to the Droid 2, or the HTC EVO to the HTC EVO 4G...RAZER to the RAZER 2, chocolate to chocolate 2, BlackBerry 8703e to BlackBerry Bold....none of that is planned obsolescence but iPad 1 to iPad 2 and Powermac G4 to iMac 2010 is? How is that fair? It's ridiculous, that's what that is.

And lets not even get started on the multiple sub-releases of Android that they push out like every week, just to keep people quiet about Android 3 not being released yet.

But I suppose that isn't planned obsolescence either? Nah, that's Google loving everyone and supplying them with an endless amount of rainbows and gum drops.

Uh, your comment was retarded. No offense. The Evo IS the Evo4g. And which of these phones were released without the ability to send MMS?

And again your comment delves into the moronic talking about "sub-releases of Android", wtf??

You shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about.

Most reactions

Latest posts