What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon offering FREE mobile wifi hot spot

jaycidy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you buy the Palm Pre or Palm Pixi smartphone..

which was enough for me, the phone was reduced to just $50

i'm going to upgrade later on today.

i hear it works great with the ipad, which is a life saver for me for not getting the 3G.

sorry if i'm late on this, wasn't sure if a thread was made already.

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My fiance switched from the BB Tour to the Palm Pre Plus, and she loves it. I use it as a WiFi hotspot, and it does work great. I also have a Droid Incredible coming my way (eventually) and i will do the same with that. A little advice, while tethering, keep the phone on the charger. Also, the phone gets very hot when it's being used as a hotspot. You should like the phone though. It's a lot better than I expected it to be. Good luck.

OP
jaycidy

jaycidy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can do the same with a droid?

i didnt know that, i asked them at verizon about it and they said no..

the palm does work great though, only problem is that i'm in a really small town in new mexico so it runs kinda slow, probably better then what i'd get from at&t though

hell i dont even think at&t has coverage out here!

thanks for the tip though, i'll try to leave it on the charger and see how it runs.

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

the palm does work great though, only problem is that i'm in a really small town in new mexico so it runs kinda slow, probably better then what i'd get from at&t though

thanks for the tip though, i'll try to leave it on the charger and see how it runs.

I believe that for now you need to be rooted on android devices to use them as wifi hotspots, or you can use PDAnet. But with Froyo OS coming, i believe there will be tethering. I'm sure there are others here that know more than me about it.

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I believe that for now you need to be rooted on android devices to use them as wifi hotspots, or you can use PDAnet. But with Froyo OS coming, i believe there will be tethering. I'm sure there are others here that know more than me about it.

If you have a rooted Android Phone just download "Wifi Tether" and you're good to go. Also you can't use PDANet to connect your iPad to your phone as it requires a usb connection for Android devices.

Aero320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Palm Hot Spot works great

I have a Palm Pre Plus from Verizon and am sitting at a bar in the Houston airport as I write this on my MacBookPro. My iPad is also connected.

If you have a Droid (I had a Moto Droid before the Palm), your will need to root it and then download Barnacle from the App Store. It works as a wifi tether and works great with the iPad.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There is tethering in Froyo (I have Froyo installed on my Droid), but I'm pretty sure Verizon will want to charge the typical 15$ monthly tethering charge like they do every other phone that has the capability.

I rooted my droid and had WiFi tethering under 10 minutes. :D Later that same day I took 20 minutes, and installed Froyo 2.2 ;)

neocaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackberry can't do this natively, but a $35 Cradlepoint PHS300 gives me a 4-device hot spot via my Storm 2. Newest firmware supports most EVDO (and GSM) phones.

Most reactions