What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

verizon motorola droid and ipad

rphman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have been reading some..i would like to use my droid with an ipad so i can surf the net when i have no access to wifi...whats the best way to do this?

Thanks

Aero320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi tether for Droid

You will need to "root" your Droid and download an app called Barnacle. Your iPad will connect to the Internet through the Droid.

OP
R

rphman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there a guide for dummies to do this to my droid...

link please?? how bad will this mess up my phone?

thanks

Infiniti87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there a guide for dummies to do this to my droid...

link please?? how bad will this mess up my phone?

thanks

I currently tether my iPad to my Droid when away from the house and it works great. Unfortunatly like othersnhave said you do need to be rooted. I'm sure your not, but if your running Android 2.0.1. still it's real easy to gain root access. If you accepted the over the air 2.1 update it's a little harder but still attainable. If your familiar, it requires flashing the phone with an sbf file to return the phone back to 2.0.1. From there you can root it and leave it stock or run different ROMS and fully customize your phone. Sorry tonget so in depth as this isn't the place for droid talk. Visit us fellow droiders on Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones & the Motorola Droid. Everything about rooting can be found in the hacking section.

OP
R

rphman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when you use a rooted droid..will that allow your droid and ipad to pair via bluetooth..as of now the ipad can find the droid but wont pair...

what program is used to allow you to surf the net using your droid and ipad..

thanks
wade

iNugget

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Assuming you have Verizon, You can just upgrade to a Pixie for free! The Palm Pixi standardly has a tethering setting. No having to download anything! Right out of the box it can be transformed into a 3G HotSpot, from the touch of a button. ;) Like I always say, why have a Super SmartPhone when you have an iPad, after all your phone should only need to be used for calls, right? Your iPad can do everything else! & If your like everyone else, your phone shouldn't be seeing much daylight since iPad and you have met. The Pixie is a smart phone, just not AS smart as a Droid, just my point of little view :p . Oh and P.S the Palm Pre does the exact same thing. Or, if your prefer a Blackberry, it also does the same; for 49.99$ ofcourse. (one-time fee). I'm sticking to the Pixi :).

Last edited:

Aphotic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have a motorola droid and will be getting an ipad. What you need to do is wait a little bit for update 2.2 to come out (Froyo). This will enable you to tether your phones 3g connection to your ipad free of charge, just like the pixi or pre can. The update will be out within the coming months. Just grab a wifi ipad and use the internet plan you already pay for.
I cannot post a link yet but search android 2.2 update on engadget.com for info

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rooting is surprisingly easy and yeah I would wait for 2.2 I have it running on my nexus one and the built in wifi hotspot works amazingly well! Or is your really impatient just root it it won't hurt!

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming you have Verizon, You can just upgrade to a Pixie for free! The Palm Pixi standardly has a tethering setting. No having to download anything! Right out of the box it can be transformed into a 3G HotSpot, from the touch of a button. ;) Like I always say, why have a Super SmartPhone when you have an iPad, after all your phone should only need to be used for calls, right? Your iPad can do everything else! & If your like everyone else, your phone shouldn't be seeing much daylight since iPad and you have met. The Pixie is a smart phone, just not AS smart as a Droid, just my point of little view :p . Oh and P.S the Palm Pre does the exact same thing. Or, if your prefer a Blackberry, it also does the same; for 49.99$ ofcourse. (one-time fee). I'm sticking to the Pixi :).

I believe that would be a downgrade!

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just spent half an hour explaining how to root and use Wireless Tether to a Best Buy sales associate so he could connect to his WiFi iPad!

ecubuntu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Root Droid and tether the iPad

to share your connection from Droid to ur iPad u need to root ur Droid droid-life.com Results how to root - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog[/url] after u root the droid download from the market WirelessTether and u can connect ur ipad via wifi to u droid. Easy and work great on my ipad and my droid

Mikeb41g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If rooting is a concern, you don't have to do it. I have the droid 2 and it has a 3G hot spot program built in.

Yes, Verizon charges $20.per month, but it is an alternative for those that don't want to root

Most reactions

Latest posts