What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon iPad 2 3G Connectivity Bug

Captfx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Captfx - thanks for the quick reply. You just described the workaround for the bug. You should be able to have Cellular Data in the off position when you power off and still be able to turn the Verizon service on.

Would you be able to try one more thing? What happens if you power off with the Cellular Data switch in the off position? Can you still turn on your Verizon service when you power back up? Thanks!

I power off with the Cellular Data switch in the off position. After I turn it back on I go into settings, switch the Cellular Data switch back on I get "No Service" in the upper right corner when I power back up.

Remember, I still haven't set up an account for Verizon yet.[/QUOTE]

OP
A

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it. Thanks again, Captfx. Looks like you may have the bug on yours too, and since this is your first iPad, this issue is probably not related to restoring from an iPad with AT&T service. IIRC, my iPad 2 behaved the same as yours before I signed up for the Verizon service.

Captfx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, this doesn't sound like much of a problem. I am really lovin this thing. It probably won't be long before I activate the Verizon just to try it.

Norm1222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having connectivity issues also on my white ipad2. I have tried all of the above, called Verizon(they suggested a full reset. I have already done this twice for other issues) and still no go. Am getting tired of all the problems I have had with this thing. Any other suggestions

AppleNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having connectivity issues also on my white ipad2. I have tried all of the above, called Verizon(they suggested a full reset. I have already done this twice for other issues) and still no go. Am getting tired of all the problems I have had with this thing. Any other suggestions

What exactly is the problem? If the device is causing so many problems then I suggest you make a trip to the Apple store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never had the problem, but I've never turned the 3G radio off. Why would I want to do that?

Rpickoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If both wi-fi and 3G are on, does it use the wi-fi if a network is available? If so, why not just leave them both on?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If both wi-fi and 3G are on, does it use the wi-fi if a network is available? If so, why not just leave them both on?

Yes - the iPad always uses WiFi in preference to 3G so your suggestion is OK - apart from one potential problem. OK - the iPad uses WiFi in preference to 3G because it assumes that, in most cases, data volume is more-or-less unlimited on WiFi but most people (though not all) have capacity limits on their 3G.

So, as you suggest, it would normally be OK to leave both on because, if WiFi is available then it would use that in preference to 3G. But you lose WiFi without noticing it then the iPad will switch to 3G without telling you. That might happen as a result of someone accidentally knocking the power cord out of your ADSL wireless router, for example. OK, perhaps you should notice that the WiFi signal 'fan' has disappeared from the screen, but you might not and so you'd start racking up charges or usage on your 3G plan without realising it.

Tim

Rpickoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Yes - the iPad always uses WiFi in preference to 3G so your suggestion is OK - apart from one potential problem. OK - the iPad uses WiFi in preference to 3G because it assumes that, in most cases, data volume is more-or-less unlimited on WiFi but most people (though not all) have capacity limits on their 3G.

So, as you suggest, it would normally be OK to leave both on because, if WiFi is available then it would use that in preference to 3G. But you lose WiFi without noticing it then the iPad will switch to 3G without telling you. That might happen as a result of someone accidentally knocking the power cord out of your ADSL wireless router, for example. OK, perhaps you should notice that the WiFi signal 'fan' has disappeared from the screen, but you might not and so you'd start racking up charges or usage on your 3G plan without realising it.

Tim

Makes sense, thanks.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never had the problem, but I've never turned the 3G radio off. Why would I want to do that?
1. Using the iPad on an airplane. 2. To save battery life.

Apple - Batteries - iPad

I still don't get it. I have a Verizon iPad 2.

1. I can put it in airplane mode, when I turn airplane mode off everything connects just fine.

2. I leave 3g and wifi on all the time and use both at work from early morning until early evening. When i get home I still have 45% battery power left which is plenty before I hit the sack and put the iPad 2 on the charger.

I'm on 4.3.1, no problems.

OP
A

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Using the iPad on an airplane. 2. To save battery life.

Apple - Batteries - iPad

I still don't get it. I have a Verizon iPad 2.

1. I can put it in airplane mode, when I turn airplane mode off everything connects just fine.

2. I leave 3g and wifi on all the time and use both at work from early morning until early evening. When i get home I still have 45% battery power left which is plenty before I hit the sack and put the iPad 2 on the charger.

I'm on 4.3.1, no problems.
Good for you. So, what exactly is the purpose of your continuing to post here if the topic is irrelevant to you?

OP
A

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Issue Appears to Be Fixed in iOS 4.3.2

Just updated to 4.3.2 and it appears that the issue has been fixed. I can now turn Verizon service off, restart or reboot the iPad, and be able to turn Verizon service on again without a reboot.

Rpickoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ajstan99 said:
Just updated to 4.3.2 and it appears that the issue has been fixed. I can now turn Verizon service off, restart or reboot the iPad, and be able to turn Verizon service on again without a reboot.

How do you update? iTunes?

Most reactions