What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon Claims To Cover More Countries Than Actually Exist

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon Claims To Cover More Countries Than Actually Exist

from Consumerist by Phil Villarreal

Verizon-220-thumb-504x380-39180.jpg
Verizon likes to boast that its coverage is ubiquitous, but it's gone way overboard when it makes claims that it covers more than 220 countries, as it did in this ad the company sent to Justin, who writes:
This one has been sitting around my office for quite a while - it is a scan of a Verizon advertisement that claims they have service in 220 countries. Thing is, the UN only recognizes 192, and the US State department recognizes 194.
Where are those other 26 countries?
Maybe Can You Hear Me Now Guy has tired of traveling the globe and has ventured to alien planets, having found this one is out of countries.

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking they counted places such as Puerto Rico, Scotland, Wales, as countries.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't care how many fictional countries they serve...I just want a damn iPhone in this country!!

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What is recognized as a country, is a vague and changeable thing often.
From Wikipedia:
The term is often applied to a political division or the territory of a sovereign state, or to a smaller, or former, political division of a geographical region. Usually, but not always, a country coincides with a sovereign territory and is associated with a state, nation or government.

In common usage, the term country is used in the sense of both nations and states, with definitions varying. In some cases it is used to refer both to states and to other political entities, while in some occasions it refers only to states It is not uncommon for general information or statistical publications to adopt the wider definition for purposes such as illustration and comparison.
Some cohesive geographical entities, which were formerly sovereign states, are commonly regarded and referred to still as countries; such as England, Scotland and Wales – in the United Kingdom. Historically, the countries of the former Soviet Union and Yugoslavia were others. Former states such as Bavaria (now part of Germany) and Piedmont (now part of Italy) would not normally be referred to as "countries" in contemporary English. The degree of autonomy of non-state countries varies widely.
Thing is, the UN only recognizes 192, and the US State department recognizes 194.
Where are those other 26 countries?
The thing is, recognizing a country by the UN is a very odd thing.
If a few of the countries want to refuse to recognize one, it does not get onto the recognized list.

There are many that are in limbo.
There are many that are kept off the list for decades because of a few countries that don't like them, etc.

The US was the first to recognize Israel, but in the UN? nope, a long time.
China and its political/economic pressure, kept Taiwan off the list.

26 limbo countries? I would not be surprised if there were not twice that many.
54 out of the 192 UN member states currently recognize Kosovo as a county, as well as Taiwan. Most EU countries recognize Kosovo with the exception of Spain, Greece, Romania, Slovakia. However, the EU as a body can’t recognize any state without unanimity from all 27 member states, which so far it doesn’t have.
The CIA World FactBook, wording it carefully, compiles data for 266 'entities.

I think if you saw the list, that you, and the people who live in those places, would consider them 'countries'.

Most reactions