What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using the ipad 2 on the bus - is it showing off?

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ip4 and always using it on the bus when i sometimes take it to downtown work. The thing is i generally dont bring my ipad out of the bag cause im worried itll make it look like im showing off cause its so big. Whqt do you think? People are always typing away on their smartphones on the bus but i cant say ive ever seen anyone use an ipad on the bus.

Sent from my black 1TB 3G iPad 2 using iPF

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No more than Walkmen or the first cell phones were when they came out IMO. Just a matter of time before the novelty of any new technology wears off. Like anything else of value though, just make sure you have a good grip on it when you get off the bus.;)

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
I think it just depends where you are.
You cannot compare US with all other regions in the world. Here in northern Europe it is still not the "normal thing" but also not uncommon, whereas in some parts of Asia I was told "sitting with your iPad at Starbucks is a guarantee for getting the opportunity to get laid" - so I guess thats not so different in the bus.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nah, definitely not showing off. I'm going to be playing games on mine to and from campus, but it's a student only freeway flyer. I'd hesitate to use it on a regular city bus or something, but that's just me and my paranoia.

Vlammetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mine everyday in the train and on the subway. I mean, I gotta do something while riding the public transport and I swear my bigger iPad is much more comfortable for both my hands and eyes compared to my cell phone (xperia mini)

I honestly could not care less if other people might think I'm 'showing off'.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
If you tilt it so everyone, including the driver, sees the Apple logo you might want to check your motives. Anything else would probably be seen by normal people as you are using your device and probably won't even notice what it is. It could be an ipad, a phone, a desktop, whatever, they probably won't care.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Aa1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You should worry more about someone stealing it from you than looking like you're showing off. People would kill for a lot less.

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In parts of Chicago, you would get jacked up for using one in public. People on public transport have had iPhones and iPods stolen. It can be a pretty common occurrence. Sad state of affairs, isn't it?

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I think some people really want people to realize it's an iPad, sure. I'm not one of those people. Mainly bc I'd fear someone would ambush me and steal it lol

Aa1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
Oh I think some people really want people to realize it's an iPad, sure. I'm not one of those people. Mainly bc I'd fear someone would ambush me and steal it lol

Reminds of the people in Pret a manger with their MacBooks proudly on public display casually eating a sandwich. If they were writing a screenplay or setting up the next UN meeting then its okay, but most time you just see them on Facebook lol.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In parts of Chicago, you would get jacked up for using one in public. People on public transport have had iPhones and iPods stolen. It can be a pretty common occurrence. Sad state of affairs, isn't it?

People on public transit have anything of value stolen if the opportunity presents. This includes laptops, smartphones of any variety, iPads, etc. Dishonest cab drivers in some cities get premiums if they turn over a smartphone that has been left behind in the car.

But as there have always been pickpockets and thieves, it only says that people need to be careful when pulling out any kind of device of value.

But as to part of the original question, I don't see that it is showing off to use an iPad on the bus.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPad all over the place. What's the point in having it if your afraid to use it when it's most convenient to you?

Good point. But some common sense is in order. People should be aware of their surroundings. I use buses and trains during my commute, and try not to sit right next to a door if using my iPad. I once saw someone snatch a smartphone and dash out the door. Fortunately, there was a transit cop very near and the device was apparently recovered.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where I live, it is not uncommon to find three, four or more passengers using iPads on the bus, so no. But in other parts of the city, that would be broadcasting an invitation to get robbed.

Most reactions