What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using the iPad 2 as a satnav for the first time on Sunday

Callander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On Sunday I am driving up from London to central Scotland. A trip I do about 6 times a year.
This time just for the hell of it. I am using the iPad 2 as a satnav. I have the 'NavFree' app. And have already ascertained that the iPad will successfully pair with my iPhone on Bluetooth. So no sim card will be necessary.
My only misgivings are the weight of the iPad in the windscreen fitting cradle. Will it last the 436 mile journey?
NavFree is a free app. But if the trip is successful, I will purchase the speed camera and 'ad free' upgrades. If it fails, then I will just have to go back to using the Garmin.

bmahony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Callander said:
On Sunday I am driving up from London to central Scotland. A trip I do about 6 times a year.
This time just for the hell of it. I am using the iPad 2 as a satnav. I have the 'NavFree' app. And have already ascertained that the iPad will successfully pair with my iPhone on Bluetooth. So no sim card will be necessary.
My only misgivings are the weight of the iPad in the windscreen fitting cradle. Will it last the 436 mile journey?
NavFree is a free app. But if the trip is successful, I will purchase the speed camera and 'ad free' upgrades. If it fails, then I will just have to go back to using the Garmin.

I use navfree as well in lreland..works well but I would be worried about the weight a bit..get yourself a good bracket and a car charger..mount it well ..enjoy..

64 gb ipad2 in black

bmahony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Callander said:
Thankyou.
I have found a 'ventilator grill' fitting bracket, on eBay, which I might consider.
The only problem is where exactly to place it.

Try and get a windscreen mount or a dash board mount if you can..iPad is a bit heavy for vent mounting..I think personally other 2ways are better

64 gb ipad2 in black

OP
C

Callander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have looked in all the local Halfords. No luck there.
I have a Renault Scenic II. The dash is enormous. I am considering making something from scratch.

OP
C

Callander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, I am concerned that 'NavFree' has a bit of an 'as the crow flies' complex. I did a couple of dummy runs to Scotland, using the 'shortest' and then the 'quickest' routes.
Both times, it ignored nearby trunk roads and motorways. Preferring to travel in as near a straight line as possible through rural and residential streets.

I should say. I don't really need a sat nav to get to Scotland anymore. But I do find the speed limits and the safety camera positions reassuring. Plus, the Garmin which I have always used up until now, does have built in Bluetooth.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to clarify, you mentioned that as you are pairing to your iPhone then you won't need your sim card. The GPS function which is built into the 3G/4G circuitry does not require the 3G or 4G to be connected as it is standalone. So you don't need to pair with your iPhone for the GPS to work.

The Archangel

OP
C

Callander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did originally wonder about that. But didn't see the logic of it working in such a way. I will be thrilled if it does work, particularly in the Highlands.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Callander said:
I did originally wonder about that. But didn't see the logic of it working in such a way. I will be thrilled if it does work, particularly in the Highlands.

They use the 3G chip just as a piggy back for the GPS circuitry, so it really does work.

The Archangel

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't recall if the OP mentioned if their iPad 2 is a 3G or wifi model? That may be the reason they want to tether with the iPhone?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
I don't recall if the OP mentioned if their iPad 2 is a 3G or wifi model? That may be the reason they want to tether with the iPhone?

The thread title says iPad 2.......

The Archangel

OP
C

Callander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well. I feel such a fool now. My iPad 2 is 3G, but just assumed it wouldn't work, when out of range of my router.
But having just successfully tried the sat nav, in the middle of Sainsburys. I guess, forget everything I previously said.
I'm 67 in four days time. (at least that's my excuse):eek:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Callander said:
Well. I feel such a fool now. My iPad 2 is 3G, but just assumed it wouldn't work, when out of range of my router.
But having just successfully tried the sat nav, in the middle of Sainsburys. I guess, forget everything I previously said.
I'm 67 in four days time. (at least that's my excuse):eek:

I learn something new here every day, that is the great thing about this place.

The Archangel

OP
C

Callander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, this idea failed at the first hurdle. The iPad is far too heavy for the mount. Even when I eventually attached it in a place where it didn't block my view. I spent more time looking at the thing, than I did at the road, wondering it was going to fall off at any moment.
But, having stopped for my usual mid journey break, at Scotch Corner, on the A1(M) in County Durham. An idea came to me for a scratch built one, that, I believe will comfortably sit in a position just above the steering column. A perfect position where you done have to move your eyes too much. And most important of all. It doesn't obscure your view.
So it's down to B&Q for some materials, and if successful, I shall post some pictures.

Most reactions