What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 as a GPS...

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently lost my Garmin GPS, and I'm heading on a fishing trip this weekend. My destination is pretty remote and I lose all cell phone coverage about 1 hour out. I have a 3gWIFI iPad 2, would it be possible to use it as a GPS for the duration of my trip? Any thoughts on a good (cost effective) GPS app would be appreciated if it will work. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Considering you have the 3G model, yes, it has GPS inbuilt and should be able to determine it's location, even when no cell towers are in range.

For a cheap navigation app, you could use Navfree. It is available in many countries, so you only have to pick the correct version.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a quick note, the 3G radio has to be turned on for the GPS to function. To be clear you DO NOT need a data plan, but if you put it in Airplane Mode the GPS will also turn off.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, most of the navigation and map programs need the internet to display the map. If you are out of 3G coverage you may end up with a nice blue dot on a blank page. If you don't want to buy one of the expensive apps with built in maps, I can think of two options.

Motion X GPS, or Motion X GPS Drive. Both of these have a history buffer for maps that can be set up to 2GB. Other apps also have buffers, but I don't know how big they are. If you review the area in the map while you have internet you should have maps. This is a bit chancy,

So my second choice is Topo Maps for iPad. While the app costs money you can download topographical maps from just about anywhere in the U.S. for free. It's a good choice for hunting and fishing, at least I think so.

Be sure to download the maps you want before you lose cell coverage.

Edit: Just looked up Navfree because Dont suggested it, and always has good advice. It says it keeps local maps, and since it's free I'd call it an excellent choice. I still think you'd like Topo, if you don't mind spending the money.

Last edited:
OP
Buttafingas

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great info. I downloaded Navfree, and did a test run on my way home this evening. Worked like a charm. I even turned off my cellular data and didn't miss a turn. Thanks again!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts