What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Netbook cart as an iPad cart

lisa57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, has anyone used a netbook cart as an iPad 2 cart?
I am specifically thinking about this one:

Bretford 42 count netbook cart

but I am worried about the Smart Brain working with iPad 2.

Any suggestions or comments? All help is appreciated

Thank you,
Lisa

DanMayhew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a great idea. In fact, you can probably use any netbook or notebook cart that has enough outlets configured for the Apple plug. The Apple AC adapters draw 10 watts, so, even allowing for some inefficiencies, 40 iPads would be the equivalent to around four 100 watt light bulbs, which is no problem. You should not need a timer or a so-called "Smart Brain." It is just not worth the price.

There are other charging carts that are compact and very secure. Security is really important. Someone recently said putting a cart full of iPads in a classroom is like putting in an ATM with an open card. My school got some great security carts from Datamation Systems and they are VERY secure. They have versions that store and charge 16, 20, 38, and 40 iPads.

Also, make sure you get something that has adjustable slots or slots large enough for the cases you use now or may use some day in the future.

Hope this helps.

Jcaprice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Dan Mentioned, iPads do not require any smart brain electronics. There are many iPad carts available and many more to come.
Although adjustable slots seem conveinent, wide iPad cases (over 1" wide) will reduce the capaciy of some carts from 40 to 30. Measure your iPad case width and call before making the purchase.
Security is important! Plastic carts can easily be broken into within seconds. Any metal cart will significantly resist theft. If security is essential, call a dealer and speak to a real person.
iPad carts cart capacities: 16, 30, 32 or 40
JJC

Last edited:

Most reactions