What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using my iPad with a projector

HollyUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I regularly conduct training using PowerPoint slides at other peoples premises and would like to use my iPad for this. I've bought a connector for iPad to projector connectivity but now am not sure what to do next. So how do I get the PowerPoints to my iPad, what app can I use to display them? sorry if this is basic stuff but just learning to use my iPad!

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HollyUK said:
I regularly conduct training using PowerPoint slides at other peoples premises and would like to use my iPad for this. I've bought a connector for iPad to projector connectivity but now am not sure what to do next. So how do I get the PowerPoints to my iPad, what app can I use to display them? sorry if this is basic stuff but just learning to use my iPad!

There are a couple of ways. You can bring them in from your PC and save them but it helps to have a POwerpoint program. I use keynote and download all my power points to keynote and then use my iPhone 4 which has keynote remote to remotely activate the slides. It's really very good and I am not sure what other PowerPoint programs there are. I like keynote it's simple and easy to use. I have also created training presentations I key note.

ssarmazi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HollyUK said:

Keynote is definitely one option, and probably the best one. You can also use other software such as QuickOffice. There's also the 'free' option, but it isn't very good if you regularly do presentations.

The free way would be to email the ppt file to yourself as an attachment. You can then open the attachment from within the email - there's a basic built-in ppt viewer. However, once you delete the email, the file is obviously no longer on your iPad.

If you decide to go with Keynote/QuickOffice, you could either email them to yourself, but better still, you can transfer them to your iPad using iTunes. You do this by doing into iTunes while you've connected your iPad to your computer, click on your iPad on the left side, go to the 'Apps' section, scroll down until you see Keynote or QuickOffice, and then 'adding' your ppt files. It will synch instantly and now your ppt files will be on your iPad. This way, the files are on your iPad until you delete them.

Ranjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used iTunes to transfer .ppt files into Keynote for iPad. Most slides will transfer well except for few fonts which are substituted automatically. Equations transfer as images and may look distorted. I use an equation app to recreate those equations that need to be replaced. I use a VGA adaptor to project the slides to a screen. If you touch the slide and hold, a red dot will appear like a laser pointer. I have used this setup to teach two full courses without any problems. I switch between Keynote and Notes Plus App which I use as a whiteboard to draw using a stylus. The students appreciated the way this was presented in class.

missybradley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you found a way to use the projector, the iPad and have the iPad hooked to a charging source? My presentations are seven hours long.

cdaamn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apps like Docstogo allow you to play/create powerpoints on your device, you could play your powerpoint on the iPad whilst it's connected to projector to show it?

techkid420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
missybradley said:
Have you found a way to use the projector, the iPad and have the iPad hooked to a charging source? My presentations are seven hours long.

This is a problem. I use presenting alot with my iPad, but it burns the battery and I need to charge while presenting. I have not found a solution yet... :/

Sent from my Verizon 3G iPad 2 64GB using iPF

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple Digital AV adapter has HDMI out to connect to the projector, and allows simultaneous charging.

techkid420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iDuffer said:
The Apple Digital AV adapter has HDMI out to connect to the projector, and allows simultaneous charging.

You are correct. I totally forgot about the HDMI choice. I just ordered it from Amazon for $39. That should do the trick.

Thank you Mr. Duffer!

Sent from my Verizon 3G iPad 2 64GB using iPF

Jrhick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ranjan said:
I have used iTunes to transfer .ppt files into Keynote for iPad. Most slides will transfer well except for few fonts which are substituted automatically. Equations transfer as images and may look distorted. I use an equation app to recreate those equations that need to be replaced. I use a VGA adaptor to project the slides to a screen. If you touch the slide and hold, a red dot will appear like a laser pointer. I have used this setup to teach two full courses without any problems. I switch between Keynote and Notes Plus App which I use as a whiteboard to draw using a stylus. The students appreciated the way this was presented in class.

I have found Dropbox to be a good solution to transfer my .ppt files to the iPad. Nice way to keep the presentations synchronized between my laptops and IPads since I use several different machines for different clients.

Most reactions