What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can iPad 2 connect to projector wirelessly?

Reaction score
westy said:
I'm getiing an Infocus IN3916 projector and an iPad 2 for my classroom. I know I can use my laptop, but would the iPad have the capability to connect wirelessly to the projector? I could then walk anywhere in the room and have everything I'm doing on the iPad show up on the board (screen) in front of the class. Any ideas, experience or tech support is appreciated. Thanks.

Cincybearcatfan said:
It's truly not that difficult. Buy BigStream it works fine.

So does BigStream mirror the screen, or does it only work with apps, which support TV out?

The BigStream video demonstration didn't have mirroring, but that video is a couple of month old, so perhaps they have updated BigStream since than.

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
So does BigStream mirror the screen, or does it only work with apps, which support TV out?

The BigStream video demonstration didn't have mirroring, but that video is a couple of month old, so perhaps they have updated BigStream since than.

No it is similar to the iPad 1pm that respect. It only does so with certain apps. They give you an adapter that plugs into the bottom of your ipad, then you hook up something similar to apple tv as a receiver to your projector.

They have an entire list of apps on their website. I bought several so that I can make them work in my classroom. I wish more apps like Brain Pop worked. The only education app that I've found that works is Math Board.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Reaction score
Cincybearcatfan said:
No it is similar to the iPad 1pm that respect. It only does so with certain apps. They give you an adapter that plugs into the bottom of your ipad, then you hook up something similar to apple tv as a receiver to your projector.

They have an entire list of apps on their website. I bought several so that I can make them work in my classroom. I wish more apps like Brain Pop worked. The only education app that I've found that works is Math Board.

Ok. But let's say you jailbreak and install DisplayOut, would BigStream than work with all apps?

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cincybearcatfan said:

Ok. But let's say you jailbreak and install DisplayOut, would BigStream than work with all apps?

That questions above my pay grade. This is my first Apple device in many years. While I'm very competent in rooting and flashing my Incredible, I've never attempted anything like that with Apple nor do I know anything about jailbreak apps. However, give me time and I will. ;)

jdavalos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using Ipad 2 with projectors

In my opinion, the easiest way to use an Ipad 2 is by installing Teamviewer in your Ipad and your laptop ( wich will be attached to the projector).
Then, from your Ipad you will take control over the laptop and run any kind of program. This way you'll be able to move freely around the class or room.

Best regards

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But that doesn't let you display the iPad apps on the projector like they want.

64GB 3G White iPad

orchestrarules

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So just to recap, if i purchase apple tv and have a vga projector, what adapter do i need and what other cables do i need in my classroom? Wifi is avail as well as ethernet connection. I know its easier with an hd projector.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
orchestrarules said:
So just to recap, if i purchase apple tv and have a vga projector, what adapter do i need and what other cables do i need in my classroom? Wifi is avail as well as ethernet connection. I know its easier with an hd projector.

It depends on the inputs on the projector, HDMI, component, etc. once you know what the projector connections are it will be easy to work out what adaptor you require, apart from that and the the Apple TV you shouldn't need any other cables.

The Archangel

pmuldoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently working on connecting my iPad2 to my VGA projector (2007 Toshiba) via apple tv2 for use in my classroom. I have done a lot of research, including multiple forums, and would like to point out that the converter that you will need to make it work will need to be HDCP compliant. I don't know much about HDCP other than it seems to be a way to copyright protect software (anything from iTunes/app store is HDCP). There are many HDMI (apple tv) to VGA (projector) converters out there and only some are HDCP compliant. I can only recommend one because it has been referenced by people in school districts that claim that it has worked successfully for them (ViewHD Two Input Switch Converter, $89.95 on Amazon). The online specs also say that it supports apple tv. I couldn't find any other converters that did.
However, I just purchased mine last night and have not tried it myself. I will report back after I have given it shot.
Hope this helps.

pmuldoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for my last post. I forgot that this thread was dealing with wireless connectivity to a VGA projector. Not what I am working on.
Good luck however.

kbeiderman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for my last post. I forgot that this thread was dealing with wireless connectivity to a VGA projector. Not what I am working on.
Good luck however.

Actually, you're answer did help. By connecting the Apple TV to the converter you describe, with Airplay on the iPad2, it should create a wireless pad device (for which the original poster was looking). I have tried two other converters for this exact issue- Sewell and AVDemand. Neither one worked because they were VGA to HDMI instead of HDMI to VGA. I heard of an HP one, but I'm not sure if it's HDCP compliant. I'm going to look into the one you describe- so thank you for the tip. I wish there weren't so many wrong solutions floating around for this backward conversion to older projectors. Did the product work for you?

BTW, for everyone else giving advice for remote display, the original poster was not looking to use his iPad as a remote mouse for the laptop. If this happened, no apps would be shown and what would be the point of buying and choosing apps. The simple answer to the OP would be to be sure the projector he buys has an HDMI input, was Mac friendly, and to get Apple TV (extra $99). Problem solved.

pmuldoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the HDView worked perfectly sending the signal to the VGA projector. The setup I described in my previous post works great! All of my apps ran just fine.

I did do some research on the hp adapter cable you mentioned and no, it is not HDCP compliant and will not work.

And yes, I agree, it is rather annoying how many incorrect solutions there are out there regarding the connection of iPads to VGA projectors. However, I have successfully achieved a wireless signal from my iPad2 via AppleTV2 to (HDMI cable) HDView converter(HDMI to VGA) to (VGA cable) VGA projector. Unfortunately, there is a degradation of colors and the picture does not pop like it can if you are tethered via the Apple VGA adapter I used previously. The response time between the iPad and what you see on the screen is very quick.

I am going to try using RCA hookups since I read that they can send a higher quality signal than VGA. We'll see.

ropatah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My apologies if the following has already been discussed. The projector described in the original post (InFocus IN3916) has an HDMI input so the best solution is AppleTV2 with 4.4.3 upgrade. Make sure it is set up to the same wireless network as the iPad2 (IOS 5 or 5.0.1).

pmuldoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good research. HDMI is absolutely the way to go if possible. I am hoping to have an HDMI projector in the near future. The degradation of signal is a bummer.

Most reactions

Latest posts