What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iTunes to put movies on iPad

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
New at iPad but understand there is way to load movies I have on DVD to iTunes then can add and remove to iPad.
Anyone got instructions on uploading to iTunes and sync with iPad.

DVD can be 4 or 5 GB how much space will it take up on iPad?

moose404

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad is not really designed to hold large files like those from a dvd movie and I don't think there is any software for the iPad to play dvd movies (I could be wrong, just my guess). For my large video files I use an iPad app called Air Playit. You d/l this to your iPad then d/l the Air Playit server app to your computer. It streams the video files to your iPad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Use something like Handbrake to reencode the movies into much smaller files. Then transfer and play on iPad.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Use something like Handbrake to reencode the movies into much smaller files. Then transfer and play on iPad.

Spot on, there is a preset in HandBrake (which is free for both the PC and Mac) specifically for the iPad.

EDIT: I forgot the second part of your question, once converted in HandBrake, drag the resultant file into iTunes (on a Mac just drop it on the iTunes icon, I assume it's the same on a PC) then when you sync the movie should transfer across to your iPad, if it doesn't open iTunes and click on the videos tab to alter the sync settings.

The Archangel

Last edited:

Sincity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spot on, there is a preset in HandBrake (which is free for both the PC and Mac) specifically for the iPad.

EDIT: I forgot the second part of your question, once converted in HandBrake, drag the resultant file into iTunes (on a Mac just drop it on the iTunes icon, I assume it's the same on a PC) then when you sync the movie should transfer across to your iPad, if it doesn't open iTunes and click on the videos tab to alter the sync settings.

The Archangel

On a PC, you have to add the file. At least that is how I do it. Then drag the movie from MOVIES onto your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts