What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD to iPad 3

D

dvdcatalyst

How long, may I ask, did it take you to convert the 8 Gb movie to Ipad 3 format? According to OP, 4.7 Gb needs 10 hours.

Actually the 8+GB (not entirely sure how big it got, but it was at least 8GB) was directly from Bluray using DVD Catalyst 4 and AnyDVD HD (only needed if you want to do Blurays), and using my quad-core laptop, it ran a bit faster than realtime. A 2 hour movie, from Bluray, using a 1080p profile in DVD Catalyst 4 (so the original quality of the Bluray is kept, including the 1080p resolution), took about 1 1/2 hours or so. On the same system, I convert DVDs at about 7x realtime, so about 16 minutes or so for a 2 hour movie, also visually similar as the actual DVD.

These were the settings I use for my iPad3

iPad3 Video Settings | Tools4Movies | DVD Catalyst 4

8GB for a DVD is not right. The DVD content itself is not even that large, and that is with the old MPEG2 compression format. iPad-optimized video uses H264 for the video format, and that offers the same visual quality as DVD at about 1/3rd of the size.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
....... was directly from Bluray using DVD Catalyst 4 and AnyDVD HD ......

8GB for a DVD is not right....

Does DVD Catalyst 4 or AnyDVD HD directly convert Bluray movies?

OP made the query about the 4.5 Gb DVD and accordingly it will take 10 hours conversion. So assuming that it is a DVD with that size how long do you think for DVD Catalyst 4 to do the conversion using your system?

D

dvdcatalyst

The combination of AnyDVD HD and DVD Catalyst 4 will do Bluray movies directly. As an alternative you can use MakeMKV (free) on the Bluray and then convert the created MKV file with DVD Catalyst 4 as well. The speed for both conversion methods is about the same (on my system about 1 1/2 hours for a 2 hour movie if you keep the 1080p resolution), but if you use ANyDVD HD, the conversion will run from Bluray directly, eliminating the time MakeMKV takes.

OP made the query about the 4.5 Gb DVD and accordingly it will take 10 hours conversion. So assuming that it is a DVD with that size how long do you think for DVD Catalyst 4 to do the conversion using your system?

As I mentioned earlier, a DVD conversion on my system with a video quality that is nearly identical to that of the original DVD runs at about 7x real-time, so 16 minutes rather than 10 hours. The size of the created video file will also be considerably less, depending on the length of the movie between 1-2GB.

Using the settings I linked to in my previous post, the conversion will actually just use what is needed to achieve the best quality, which means that if you are converting slower movies, like romance/comedy, rather than fast action movies, the created video files will be even smaller. I have video files created from 2 hour movies that are identical in quality as the original DVD, and are only 500MB in size.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A video editing software can do the splitting. I'm use to a pc, so as an example I could use MovieMaker to split the file. Another which might be able to do it is the free converter "FreeMake video converter". IMHO showing with a split video compared to a long single video is better.

I cannot see why anyone would be splitting files to watch movies, especially to watch them on a tiny screen. This is definitely NOT better. Just use handbrake or the other program mentioned. I routinely convert my blu-rays down to a single file less than 2GB if I intend to watch them on an iPad. DVDs can be much smaller than that.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The combination of AnyDVD HD and DVD Catalyst 4 will do Bluray movies directly. As an alternative you can use MakeMKV (free) on the Bluray and then convert the created MKV file with DVD Catalyst 4 as well. The speed for both conversion methods is about the same (on my system about 1 1/2 hours for a 2 hour movie if you keep the 1080p resolution), but if you use ANyDVD HD, the conversion will run from Bluray directly, eliminating the time MakeMKV takes.

As I mentioned earlier, a DVD conversion on my system with a video quality that is nearly identical to that of the original DVD runs at about 7x real-time, so 16 minutes rather than 10 hours. The size of the created video file will also be considerably less, depending on the length of the movie between 1-2GB.

Using the settings I linked to in my previous post, the conversion will actually just use what is needed to achieve the best quality, which means that if you are converting slower movies, like romance/comedy, rather than fast action movies, the created video files will be even smaller. I have video files created from 2 hour movies that are identical in quality as the original DVD, and are only 500MB in size.

I have MakeMKV to convert Bluray movies. It only takes minutes to do the conversion to MKV format. However, converting the MKV file to Ipad 3 takes several hours to accomplish.
Also as a reference, I tried converting a 3 hours and 20 min 3.03 Gb DVD movie to Ipad 3 format using Freemake. It took my system to do the conversion approximately 35 min.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I don't know about Catalyst as I don't use it, but Handbrake and AnyDVD HD definitely will. These are the tooks I use all the time...and it takes no where near 10 hours. And that's for Blu-ray. DVD would be a fraction of the time because it is so low resoluton. Heck, DVD isn't even HD. Are people still buying DVDs?

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know about Catalyst as I don't use it, but Handbrake and AnyDVD HD definitely will. These are the tooks I use all the time...and it takes no where near 10 hours. And that's for Blu-ray. DVD would be a fraction of the time because it is so low resoluton. Heck, DVD isn't even HD. Are people still buying DVDs?

I also don't have Catalyst and also AnyDVD HD. What I have is Freemake and MakeMKV. I agree with your observation that if its bluray it takes hours to do the conversion but if it's DVD it only takes minutes to do it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also don't have Catalyst and also AnyDVD HD. What I have is Freemake and MakeMKV. I agree with your observation that if its bluray it takes hours to do the conversion but if it's DVD it only takes minutes to do it.

Usually well less than two hours. I guess the value of this depends on why you are doing it. If the iPad is your only means of watching an blu-ray, then that just sucks. But if you are planing to use them while on travel, then I just do the transcoding well ahead of time. I rarely watch a movie for the first time on my iPad, because if it is a good movie I want to see it on my large screen, not on a tiny iPad screen. The films I buy on Blu-ray are usually the ones I want to watch again one day, and so I rip my library and watch those when I am on travel. Rarely is that the first time I've seen it. That's how I roll with movies. If I expect to enjoy it, I'm not watching it on some tiny 10-inch screen, no matter what resolution it has.

Last edited:

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Usually well less than two hours. I guess the value of this depends on why you are doing it. If the iPad is your only means of watching an blu-ray, then that just sucks. But if you are playing to use them while on travel, then I just do the transcoding well ahead of time. I rarely watch a movie for the first time on my iPad, because if it is a good movie I want to see it on my large screen, not on a tiny iPad screen. The films I buy on Blu-ray are usually the ones I want to watch again one day, and so I rip my library and watch those when I am on travel. Rarely is that the first time I've seen it. That's how I roll with movies. If I expect to enjoy it, I'm not watching it on some tiny 10-inch screen, no matter what resolution it has.

Definitely not looking at a movie on a small screen for the first time. An exception is when you're traveling and looking at a 12 volume series bluray documentary movies.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Definitely not looking at a movie on a small screen for the first time. An exception is when you're traveling and looking at a 12 volume series bluray documentary movies.

Agreed!

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
adamhardy said:
I have tried lots of DVD converters also, from xilisoft, leawo, aiseesoft to pavtube, I found this DVD to iPad converter is the only one that performs as it advertised:"6X faster speed". It does save me much time.

Magic DVD also works well on PC and has a Mac version, but I have not tried it

Most reactions

Latest posts