What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

using iPhone4 as gateway for iPad2?

Erhard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I think I read somewhere that one can set up the iPhone4 to us as a gateway/modem to connect my WiFi iPad2 to the Internet via Bluetooth?, if yes, can someone please explain how it is done. If no, is there a way to use the iPhone4 to connect the iPad2 to the internet?, thanks for any advise.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, you can ask your carrier to enable tethering on your account. This will enable the wireless hotspot feature on your iPhone4 and allow you to create a wifi network which your iPad (or any other device) can link to and share the 3G connection. It is usually an additional monthly charge, depending on your carrier.

Or, if you already have a data plan and don't mind risking enabling the tethering feature through jailbreaking, then you need to jailbreak your iPhone4 and install an application such as TetherMe, which is available from the Cydia store for $4.99. You may like to go to our sister site, iphoneforums.net for help with that. The risk with this is that if your carrier spots that you have illegally enabled the tethering feature they may take action against you. AT&T are known to be cracking down on this, but I've been doing it for years on O2 in the UK without any issue. You still need to stay within your normal monthly data allowance if you use this method.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Hotspot feature works fine. It is possible to link the iPad both thrugh wi-fi and bluetooth. I've done both, but fail to see any real advantage to the bluetooth method. As f4780y says, you have to activate the feature through your carrier or jailbreak. Depending on your carrier they may charge extra for the feature, but usually increase your data limit if they do.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bluetooth is significantly slower than wifi, so it should be your second choice...

OP
Erhard

Erhard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the advise, I'll have a look at Jailbreak and see what that involves!

Most reactions

Latest posts