What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using IPad in bright sunlight

donebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was on the pool deck today, trying to take pictures & videos of my son at his swim lessons and was really having trouble fretting the buttons to work. It's like they just wouldn't recognize my touches. The Sun was really bright. I got a few pictures but I would have to duck into the Shade and wait a few minutes. Is this normal? Thx.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what "fretting the buttons" means but iPads do not do well in bright sun. Can't clearly see the screen.

STeBoS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Were you wearing sunscreen? I've heard certain lotions can affect the sensitivity of the touchscreen.

Please read comic books

OP
D

donebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was supposed to be "pressing" the buttons, don't know what happened there.

And, no, sunscreen was not involved.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
donebb said:
It was supposed to be "pressing" the buttons, don't know what happened there.

And, no, sunscreen was not involved.

If your screen exceeds 70 degrees F the static of the screen is impaired and can't process the difference between you touching the screen or not, also if you have dirt of the screen or on your fingers it can also cause problems for the digital locators the iPad uses to determine where you are touching the screen.

The iDevice Guru

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If your screen exceeds 70 degrees F the static of the screen is impaired and can't process the difference between you touching the screen or not, also if you have dirt of the screen or on your fingers it can also cause problems for the digital locators the iPad uses to determine where you are touching the screen.

Hi iDeviceGuru - 70 degrees F is hard to believe, IMO - that's the temperature inside an air conditioned building, where one would think that the iPad would function w/o a problem?

Quoted below are the specs on the 'environmental requirements' of the iPad from Apple support, which imply a much more tolerant touchscreen temperature range, but would be interested if a source or link might be provided for the number you state above - thanks. :)

• Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hi iDeviceGuru - 70 degrees F is hard to believe, IMO - that's the temperature inside an air conditioned building, where one would think that the iPad would function w/o a problem?

Quoted below are the specs on the 'environmental requirements' of the iPad from Apple support, which imply a much more tolerant touchscreen temperature range, but would be interested if a source or link might be provided for the number you state above - thanks. :)

Exactly my point. Not operational, the touch screen was said to be working not non operational. In a standard heated room temperature is fine although in direct sunlight that heat can impair the black(heat absorbent) iPad. The tests supplied by Apple are tested in a heat and chill room where the temperature is elevated to find its limits and then dropped to its limits, in a room is different from the ultra rays emitted from the sun.

The iDevice Guru

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If one is standing in direct sunlight with an iPad for a good length of time in the summer, it is possible that the surface temp on the iPad could exceed 95 deg F. I've seen temps around 120 deg F on objects (not my iPad) in direct sunlight when the temp in the shade is in the 90s.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
If one is standing in direct sunlight with an iPad for a good length of time in the summer, it is possible that the surface temp on the iPad could exceed 95 deg F. I've seen temps around 120 deg F on objects (not my iPad) in direct sunlight when the temp in the shade is in the 90s.

Exactly what I was saying.

The iDevice Guru

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I can easily understand (from the specs quoted in my previous post) why in prolonged exposure to the sunlight that the surface of the iPad screen might heat up to 95+ degrees F or above, and THEN cause a potential problem; however, the original suggestion by iDeviceGuru implied that even a 70 degree F temp could be a problem - I'm still awaiting an explanation for that temperature level? ;)

Reaction score
giradman said:
Well, I can easily understand (from the specs quoted in my previous post) why in prolonged exposure to the sunlight that the surface of the iPad screen might heat up to 95+ degrees F or above, and THEN cause a potential problem; however, the original suggestion by iDeviceGuru implied that even a 70 degree F temp could be a problem - I'm still awaiting an explanation for that temperature level? ;)

I'm interested as well. Perhaps it should be 70 degrees C?

mach5k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPad while. Coaching my daughters soccer team including a tournament last weekend in 95 degree heat and had no issues. Just need sunglasses to help read the screen in the bright sunlight

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mach5k said:
I use my iPad while. Coaching my daughters soccer team including a tournament last weekend in 95 degree heat and had no issues. Just need sunglasses to help read the screen in the bright sunlight

Good info! I didn't realize that sunglasses would help in reading the screen while outside.

Most reactions