What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using External Storage Devices with the iPad

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wheelhot said:
Hmm, it looks like I have the same USB hub as yours but I am not able to make ifile to detect my external portable HDD. I can see my HDD lighted up and hear the disc spinning, but iFile just won't recognize the drive.

Help pls :)

Did you do USB toggle method or the Mobile terminal way? Also check in /mnt in ifile or /var/Volumes or whereever you see volumes. That's where it should be located. Not sure if you mounted properly but take a look at that and let us know.

wheelhot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USB toggle as in the donate one? Yeah I did that, didn't try the mobile terminal way

The weird part about the USB hub is that when I connect the iPad to a computer USB, the drive will appear (in computer) and the iPad will start charging. Whereas if I were to use the iPad direct charger, it will not charge the iPad. Does yours work the same way too?

Thraex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've the Seagate GoFlex Satellite (500GB DLNA capable, latest FW just released) in my hand and it works for 24 bit-perfect audio even with Seagate app, but it sorts album songs only alphabetically not by track number, to use it with tack number and unsopported formats too just install 8player app and all audio/video formats are streamed, however for video .avi I've found that AirPlayer was more smoother/faster than 8player, but doesn't do 24 bit-perfect for audio files. At the end using a specific app for each format is better, but what's most important SGGFS works with any third-party UPnP/DLNA apps (however most apps are not good).

Last edited:
OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wheelhot said:
USB toggle as in the donate one? Yeah I did that, didn't try the mobile terminal way

The weird part about the USB hub is that when I connect the iPad to a computer USB, the drive will appear (in computer) and the iPad will start charging. Whereas if I were to use the iPad direct charger, it will not charge the iPad. Does yours work the same way too?

Give the mobile terminal way a try. No it does not do that to my iPad. Although I don't have USB hub to try. Maybe one of our posters will give you feedback once he's back.

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thraex said:
I've the Seagate GoFlex Satellite (500GB DLNA capable, latest FW just released) in my hand and it works for 24 bit-perfect audio even with Seagate app, but it sorts album songs only alphabetically not by track number, to use it with tack number and unsopported formats too just install 8player app and all audio/video formats are streamed, however for video .avi I've found that AirPlayer was more smoother/faster than 8player, but doesn't do 24 bit-perfect for audio files. At the end using a specific app for each format is better, but what's most important SGGFS works with any third-party UPnP/DLNA apps (however most apps are not good).

Dang. Well have you experienced crashing while leaving the music played? Are you going to get a similar system set up for your car too?

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm. I dont get this ;-(

I badly need to attach a hardrive to my ipad3 jailbr with ifile and cck - not to view videos or music -
But to download 16 gb of pictures from my canon slr, each evening during my one week travel to europen cities

I have just now connected a seagate 500 gb expansion portable drive, but the ifile / ipad would not recognize it

I just installled the usbsetting. What do this app do? I guess i will have to donate in order to get it working??

All the nice wifi gadgets, i guess these will be way to slow when it comes to copying several hundred jpg files ?

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I badly need to attach a hardrive to my ipad3 jailbr with ifile and cck - not to view videos or music -
But to download 16 gb of pictures from my canon slr, each evening during my one week travel to europen cities

I have just now connected a seagate 500 gb expansion portable drive, but the ifile / ipad would not recognize it

I just installled the usbsetting. What do this app do? I guess i will have to donate in order to get it working??

All the nice wifi gadgets, i guess these will be way to slow when it comes to copying several hundred jpg files ?

In order for it to work with my 500GB portable drive I had to use the donation version of USB Settings.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Yes, if you are indeed copying 16GB of anything, it will take a long time over wifi. But 200 * 7 MB is 1400 MB ~ 1.4GB (not exactly), that is manageable.

Thraex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dang. Well have you experienced crashing while leaving the music played? Are you going to get a similar system set up for your car too?

No crash, latest firmware just released and installed. For car is the same system, if you want a smaller setup iPod Touch/iPhone works but are limited at 24/48 max.

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MorAase said:

Like post above mentioned. The wifi transfers very fast through wifi because it creates it's own network. USB setting works if you donate yes. It's a toggle which is easy as on or off but with delay.

uyenho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any one has a solution for the file bigger than 4.0GB, I know the FAX can't got the file bigger than 4.0GB, but most of the movie right now around 4-6GB, and most of my movies collection about the same only a few got smaller files. I don't know if anyone of you guys can stores those big files or got another solution without the help of computer to transfer the big file to ipad. Thanks in advance.

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox

How is this as "external disk".

Way too slow?

I have the 100 gig.

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And,

Could you recomend me a external harddrive, as I now hav both the sbsettings and the donated sbsetting

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
uyenho said:
Any one has a solution for the file bigger than 4.0GB, I know the FAX can't got the file bigger than 4.0GB, but most of the movie right now around 4-6GB, and most of my movies collection about the same only a few got smaller files. I don't know if anyone of you guys can stores those big files or got another solution without the help of computer to transfer the big file to ipad. Thanks in advance.

File transfer of over 4gigs can be done over any storage with exfat format.

Most reactions

Latest posts