What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Usa to ireland

OP
ste2911

ste2911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow thanks alot guys really appreciate it!! What's best option for me?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually the power supplies Apple uses are capable of handling most standard voltage sources. Mine says 100 - 240 V at 50 to 60 Hz.

The only thing you would need is a physical adaptor so you can plug it into whatever outlet you use in Ireland. Apple sells an international adaptor kit, but if you want to save money any USA to European kit should be fine, not as pretty, but fine.

This makes sense you know. A lot of companies do it these days. It is a lot cheaper in the long run to make one kind of power supply with a few cheap adaptor parts.

Do watch out for cheap third party power supplies though. Read the specs closely.

Last edited:
OP
ste2911

ste2911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I not use the same plug and cord I charge my iPhone with?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's exactly it Ste, by just changing the plug, you would create a meltdown within the transformer.

I'm sorry but this information is not correct. The iPad charger is a switched-mode charger and is compatible with any voltage from 100-250volts. You will need a 'travel adaptor' to handle the different plug shape, but that's all.

Tim

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I'm sorry but this information is not correct. The iPad charger is a switched-mode charger and is compatible with any voltage from 100-250volts. You will need a 'travel adaptor' to handle the different plug shape, but that's all.

Tim

Agreed, Tim. The OP has been seriously misinformed. Ireland and the UK a higher voltage (220/240) but the iPad switches to the higher voltage automatically and NO harm will come to it from this.

All you need is an adapter for your US pins. You can buy some very expensive International Adapters - and if you do lots if travelling outside the US it is a good investment - but if not you should be able to find a simple adapter to fit the iPad plug for a few dollars.

Enjoy

OP
ste2911

ste2911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys but I'm a bit lost now! So can I charge it from iPhone charger? And what is actual adaptor I need to get?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPhone charger will work, but it will charge slowly because it's only 5W as opposed to the iPad 10W charger. The iPad charger will charge the iPad or iPhone. The adaptor is just the normal electrical travel adaptor - you probably have it already - for when you travel abroad. If not, every airport in the world sells them...

It simply is an adaptor into which you can plug a US plug and it then has a selection of pins on the other side to match the power outlets of a variety - typically all - of other countries.

Tim

OP
ste2911

ste2911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a million Tim! Sorry for all the questions! So let's say I go to the states buy me iPad come home to Ireland dispose of the charger I got with it and buy an iPad charger here at home should all be ok no worries?!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's no need to dispose of the charger that you get with your iPad in the US. It will work just fine. If you're going to use it permanently in Ireland and don't want to always be using a travel adaptor, you'll find the 'plug part' of the iPad charger just slides out to reveal an international standard, two-pin, IEC socket into which you'll be able to plug an two-pin IEC cable - you'll almost certainly have some already, it's the small two-pin adaptor that is often at the end of a mains cable that's used to connect the mains to radios, TVs, CD players, HiFi systems etc. No need to change the charger.

Tim

OP
ste2911

ste2911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brilliant!! And for updates from iTunes will all be fine?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course - you'll get updates from whatever iTunes Store that you have an account with. If you opened an iTunes account in the US, you'll update from there. If you open your account when you get back to Ireland, then you'll update from there. Many Members have multiple iTunes accounts - an iPad purchased in the US is not fussy where it gets its updates from!!!

Tim

OP
ste2911

ste2911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks alot Tim! Any other advice

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - I think you should be good to go. We have many Members who have purchased an iPad in the US and returned to the UK and Ireland and have had no problems. There's also no difficult with warranty issues -- iPads purchased in the US have a warranty that's honoured by Apple world-wide - but keep the receipt safe!!

I hope you enjoy your trip

Tim

OP
ste2911

ste2911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank u so much I'll let u no how I get on

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can I not use the same plug and cord I charge my iPhone with?

Yes, you can. However the charger that came with the iPhone does not supply as much power as the one with the iPad, and will charge much slower.

However, the little plug part that pops off the charger should fit/replace the same pop off part on the iPad charger. So you can do that. I believe the international adaptor kit that Apple sells is little more than a variety of these pop off plugs, which is why I suggested it was prettier that the simple adaptors you could buy for the same job.

Edit: Should have finished reading the thread befor posting. Oh well. :eek:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts