What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Urgent help requires with Proxy

brittaink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone,

Please help. Im trying to cut a long story short so please bear with me. We have ipads for our users to use when out of the office. To stop them from doing naughty stuff I have set up a proxy which filters sites that we dont want them to use. The proxy is tested and works fine from any wireless LAN, except....

When the user tries to connect through hotel wifi or Openzone for example, you will first be redirected to a splash screen. By setting a global http proxy it then means the ipad will not allow the spash screen first.

On a windows PC or laptop you have the setting "Bypass proxy for local addresses" but on ipads this isnt there. Nor can i specify exceptions without a PAC file. If i write a PAC file, can i place it on the ipad and if so how without jailbreaking?

If the PAC file sits on a IIS server then it wont work as it would still tryto access that server before the splash screen.

Effectively i need ALL internet connections to go through proxy, from any wifi. But need it to be able to see local addresses without proxy to enable the splash screen.

Please help if you can

Keith

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Maybe you could set up your own VNC, make that mandatory, then set up the proxy on the virtual network. Not that I've more than a vague idea of how to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

brittaink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe you could set up your own VNC, make that mandatory, then set up the proxy on the virtual network. Not that I've more than a vague idea of how to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twerppoet,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did look into a VNC briefly but im not sure it would alleviate the splash screen issue. I am convinced there must be a way of saving a .pac file to the ipad itself but cant figure how to save it and reference to it in settings.

Keith

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge there is no way to add a local proxy configuration file to the iPad. Maybe with a jailbreak, but jailbreaking is the last thing you want to do with managed iPads. It would add a lot of extra complexity to your device management, and a lot of variables that you have little to no control over (like when jailbreaks appear, what iOS versions they work with, and an unpredictable window when jailbreaks can be applied).

OP
B

brittaink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge there is no way to add a local proxy configuration file to the iPad. Maybe with a jailbreak, but jailbreaking is the last thing you want to do with managed iPads. It would add a lot of extra complexity to your device management, and a lot of variables that you have little to no control over (like when jailbreaks appear, what iOS versions they work with, and an unpredictable window when jailbreaks can be applied).
Twerppoet,

It seems ludicrous that Apple would not allow the simple addition of an exclusion to proxy addresses when it is so widely used on Windows devices. I am not in a position to consider jailbreaking as i am the system manager not owner. There HAS to be a solution out there somewhere.

Unfortunately it is issues similar to this that would make me choose other devices over Apple everytime. I love the aesthetics of the device, but the capability to conform to a users specific needs is not present and that is very frustrating. It seems to me that if apple didnt see a need for something then tough luck.

Can anyone help,with this simple issue????

Keith

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm wondering if Configurator could be helpful in this instance? I've never used it to manage iPads, but being designed with corporate profiles in mind, maybe it could assist?

OP
B

brittaink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dhewson777,

Apple configurator is what i use to set a global http proxy. Unfortunately there is no option for exceptions

Thanks for the suggestion though,

Keith

Most reactions