What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading To Ipad Air

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While everyone is going to have a different idea as to which one to get - I'll add my opinion on why I chose the iPad Air (which I'm now using and adore!).

My main reason for getting the Air is that I don't carry a purse and very rarely take the iPad out of the house. So, I didn't need the portability of the Mini. I have an iPhone 5 for a "pocket computer" and that goes with me everywhere. So I felt I didn't need another portable gadget. Though I must admit - this iPad Air is VERY light and quite thinner than the previous versions... :)

So, in a nutshell, I feel the question you want to answer - how portable do you want the iPad to be? If it really never leaves the house, as mine, then get the Air. If you always want it with you - get the Mini.

Or, satisfy all situations and get both. :D

Marilyn

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok .... Went to Target and scooped one up! Will report in later :))

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While everyone is going to have a different idea as to which one to get - I'll add my opinion on why I chose the iPad Air (which I'm now using and adore!). My main reason for getting the Air is that I don't carry a purse and very rarely take the iPad out of the house. So, I didn't need the portability of the Mini. I have an iPhone 5 for a "pocket computer" and that goes with me everywhere. So I felt I didn't need another portable gadget. Though I must admit - this iPad Air is VERY light and quite thinner than the previous versions... :) So, in a nutshell, I feel the question you want to answer - how portable do you want the iPad to be? If it really never leaves the house, as mine, then get the Air. If you always want it with you - get the Mini. Or, satisfy all situations and get both. :D Marilyn

Totally agree!

quinconces

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just spent the day tweaking my new Air. Very pleased, but not sure about battery life.
Recent films are brilliant, but older videos (pre 1990 ) are very poor.
Not wild about IOS7. Preferred my old jb version.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While everyone is going to have a different idea as to which one to get - I'll add my opinion on why I chose the iPad Air (which I'm now using and adore!).

My main reason for getting the Air is that I don't carry a purse and very rarely take the iPad out of the house. So, I didn't need the portability of the Mini. I have an iPhone 5 for a "pocket computer" and that goes with me everywhere. So I felt I didn't need another portable gadget. Though I must admit - this iPad Air is VERY light and quite thinner than the previous versions... :)

So, in a nutshell, I feel the question you want to answer - how portable do you want the iPad to be? If it really never leaves the house, as mine, then get the Air. If you always want it with you - get the Mini.

Or, satisfy all situations and get both. :D

Marilyn

That's a great reason to go with the iPad Air. I really do need to get to the store and try both out!! :)

Unleashed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its good because the mini is pretty much the same as the air now, very good for travel if you dont mind the smaller screen while the air has much more screen space making the jump from the 4 to the air worth it imo with all the extra hardware updates it has

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking for something to slip in my purse and had been waiting for the mini with retina display. I had the original mini but have since passed that onto my son. I have to admit I was not happy the price increased, apple never did that before. Anyways, went out yesterday and purchased the air which will now be my "purse iPad" . I figure it's light enough to tote around ( lighter than the mini I believe) and I got it on sale at Target- 16GB was $479 plus I got an additional 5 percent off using my red card. 16 is good for me since my iPad 4 is 64 GB and I plan on keeping that for home use ( plus I've only used 20GB of that and I have TONS of stuff I don't even use on that baby!)

fafrost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a big improvement in Siri speed/recognition compared to the iPad 4?

bwwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moving from Gen 1 to Air

I've had the original iPad for 3 1/2 years, using it nearly every day. Just last night I took it to Target for their trade-in deal. Got a $200 Target gift card that I'll be applying toward the Air. My original was Wi-fi 64Gb and that's what I'll get with the Air also. With my original, I just had the plain Apple case. Never had an issue with device or the case. With the Air, I'm planning on getting 2 cases--a light one and a keyboard case. I'm leaning heavily toward the Kensington Folio Exact case for it's thinness and the ability to detach the keyboard. I'm picking up a cheap Fintie smart case to start with ($1.99 + $4.99 shipping on Amazon). That one may satisfy my light needs. If I decide to replace the Fintie, I may just go with the Apple Smartcase.

I played with my wife's Mini iPad for several days to see if I wanted to go the Mini route, but decided I needed the screen space, so will go with the Air.

Very excited to get it! (Target is out of stock, so it will be a few weeks before it's in my hands.)

Bruce

patefermente

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At 49 yrs. of age, my decision to go with the iPad Air, over the new iPad retina mini, has to do with my close up eyesight. Although I really like the portability of the mini, packing all of those pixels into a smaller screen challenges my ability to read the screen (even with good reading glasses). Now that the Air arrived, I'm very happy with it. It's very light and a hair smaller (narrower) than my previous gen. 3, and just big enough to allow reading close up.

-- Patefermente

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had the original iPad for 3 1/2 years, using it nearly every day. Just last night I took it to Target for their trade-in deal. Got a $200 Target gift card that I'll be applying toward the Air. My original was Wi-fi 64Gb and that's what I'll get with the Air also. With my original, I just had the plain Apple case. Never had an issue with device or the case. With the Air, I'm planning on getting 2 cases--a light one and a keyboard case. I'm leaning heavily toward the Kensington Folio Exact case for it's thinness and the ability to detach the keyboard. I'm picking up a cheap Fintie smart case to start with ($1.99 + $4.99 shipping on Amazon). That one may satisfy my light needs. If I decide to replace the Fintie, I may just go with the Apple Smartcase.

I played with my wife's Mini iPad for several days to see if I wanted to go the Mini route, but decided I needed the screen space, so will go with the Air.

Very excited to get it! (Target is out of stock, so it will be a few weeks before it's in my hands.)

Bruce

Maybe you can swing by White Bear Lake and let me give it a try. :D
Enjoy!

That's a great deal Target is doing......if you have an old iPad.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I upgraded from iPad 2 to the Air on Monday, i love it, the screen is just amazing, i'm still taken with how vivid the colours are.

Most reactions

Latest posts