What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to latest IOS and keep backed up data?

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I feel dumb asking this, but I haven't been able to find the answer. I'm ready to make the leap from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 to await a JB for ipad2. Will I have the option to restore my backed up data/music/pictures etc. as part of the upgrade?

Also, I don't know if I've complicated things. A few days ago, through iTunes, I downloaded the 5.0.1 upgrade, but didn't install it. Will this change anything in the way I need to approach the upgrade?

Thanks.

OP
M

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The upgrade to 5.0.1 went well. Now it's sit and wait.

OP
M

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All you need to do is use an app like PKGBackup (download from Cydia) to backup your Cydia stuff, then use DFU mode (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html) to upgrade to 5.0.1 with itunes. Then wait for the jailbreak to come out, and then jailbreak 5.0.1 and use PKGBackup again to restore all of your Cydia stuff.

I have a question about PKGBackup. I made a backup with it prior to upgrading to 5.0.1. I'm not sure all my JB tweaks were IOS 5 ready. When I restore the backup, I'm thinking I might have some issues.

Any thoughts?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly? In moving from iOS 4.x to 5.x, I, personally, would elect to manually re-install the Cydia tweaks after re-jailbreaking on iOS 5. Mainly for the reason you stated - in case the tweaks don't work well on the newer firmware. You'll have a better chance of catching the "bad" stuff if you load them by onesies or twosies versus one huge download with he backup program.

The backup programs are great (I swear by PKGBacup), but I save them for restoring the same firmware or minor upgrades. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts