What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading question

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad2 Wifi 4.3.3 JB. If I upgrade to 5.0.1, as is now recommended, can I complete that operation, then go back to 4.3.3 and re-JB? The question is... will the action of upgrading to 5.0.1 now be or any use at a future time when the JB is made available, but go back in the meantime? Or would I be stuck in 5.0.1 until the next JB?

I thought I understood enough of this stuff to figure it out on my own, but I guess not. It seems (in my feeble mind) that if I have blobs for 5.0.1 - which I thought I could obtain just by running Tiny Umbrella or something now, I could get to that point whenever I wished.

Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
graywolf said:
You should be able to go back down to 4.3.3 if you have your blobs saved.

No graywolf, that is very bad advice. Blobs CANNOT be used on iPad2 for 5.x firmwares.

OP, if you choose to go this route you must stay on 5.0.1 when you install it as once the singing window is closed you cannot install it again, even if you have saved blobs.

That means you will be without a jailbreak until one gets released!

See here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/53082-ios5-jailbreak-strategy-guide.html

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 is too confusing. If you have 3g then you cant do this and that, if you are on 5.x you cant to this....

biller007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm lost, I thought blooms could be used to downgrade from ios5 back to 4.3.3 on an ipad2 3G?

Mountaingamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I disagree - If you are JB on 4.3.3, and your blobs are saved (they should be at a minimum w/cydia), then you are safe to upgrade right now to 5.0.1. If the jailbreak never comes to be on 5.0.1, you can always downgrade back to 4.3.3 and re-jailbreak. The risk people are facing right now is if Apple was to immediately stop signing 5.0.1 and issue firmware 5.0.2 or 5.1(or if you just missed the window), and you were still on 4.3.3 - even though you had blobs save for 5.0.1, as it stands right now, you could not get back to 5.0.1......only 5.0.2 or whatever the new firmware is.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountaingamer said:
I disagree - If you are JB on 4.3.3, and your blobs are saved (they should be at a minimum w/cydia), then you are safe to upgrade right now to 5.0.1. If the jailbreak never comes to be on 5.0.1, you can always downgrade back to 4.3.3 and re-jailbreak. The risk people are facing right now is if Apple was to immediately stop signing 5.0.1 and issue firmware 5.0.2 or 5.1(or if you just missed the window), and you were still on 4.3.3 - even though you had blobs save for 5.0.1, as it stands right now, you could not get back to 5.0.1......only 5.0.2 or whatever the new firmware is.

You can only downgrade though by using tinycfw if your iPad 2 is GSM, if it's CDMA then I believe there is no option to do so.

Most reactions

Latest posts