What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

upgrade to iOS 6 no thanks

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sony products also will not let you "downgrade" once upgraded, and often a new game requires the latest OS to even play(after you have bought & opened the game so you can't take it back).
There is one way of thinking that once you pony up the cash for a device, that it is yours, OS and all to do with as you wish and there should be no restrictions or requirements to upgrade to utilize new games or apps.
Then there is the thinking that people want the latest and greatest and should be able to get free upgrades of OS for the life of their system, upset them if you don't. So they keep making OS and games to run better on said OS.
Funny...I don't remember my Dell sending me free Windows OS each time a new one came out. It still has Windows 98 on it and I know that some new games & utilities will not work with it.

Look, you make some people happy with this upgrade system and some not. You were free to not upgrade initially, you chose to do so. Like others have said, restore from backup and go from there.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
merry christmas to me, I upgraded my fully functioning ipad 2 to iOS 6. What a mistake. Most of my apps do not work. It no longer recognizes epub file types. My biggest pleasure was using the iPad to read books. This pleasure is now permanently lost as apple does not provide a path to revert to the previous os. My beautiful ipad is now useful only as a browser. What a piece of ****. Unhappy to the max. I dare not press the reset button or connect it to my iMac as I might lose everything on it . Planning a trip to the genius bar but expecting huge disappointment. Recent upgrades to my imac produced similar results. You'd think I would have learned. So , Please, don't upgrade. Steve Jobs would never let this happen.

My 2 works fine!! They usually upgrade the apps to accommodate the upgrade...

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
http://www.ipadforums.net/members/32531.htmlStop kissing up to Apple. The option to downgrade should be available! All users should be able to use their product to their liking! As both a PC and Mac user, one isn't better than the other, Apple user are often not the smartest, ever send an apple user a file they don't recognize, IE, a wmv, no clue, I have to explain what to do, (Google how do I open a wmv file on mac)... Anyways Downgrades on Android isn't available either, so its not only apple, Shame downgrade to factory default isn't available on ipads... good luck at genious bar!

???? Why so angry?? And why are you calling us stupid?? Too funny...

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For what it's worth ... When iOS 5 came out the update via my old PC using Windows XP went horribly wrong.
It bricked my out of warranty iPhone 4. Luckily I had successfully backed up my content.

Long story short - went to the Apple Store to see what if anything could be done. I was prepared to pony up for a replacement.
The Genius ran a diagnostic. His exact words after reading the diagnostic ... "this doesn't make sense." His next words were "let me get you a new phone."

There was no charge despite no warranty. It was explained to me that the report was showing multiple error codes and since they had no idea what caused it,
a replacement (refurbished device) was in order.

Slightly off topic but I just want to support other posts in this thread re: things sometimes go wrong. Machines break. After all, they were designed and assembled by imperfect beings. ;)

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

They are very good at customer satisfaction, I must say!!

acostapimps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still on iOS 5.0.1 should I upgrade to 6.0.1? my iPad 2 runs fine now besides battery not lasting like it use to and occasional wifi disconnects

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still on iOS 5.0.1 should I upgrade to 6.0.1? my iPad 2 runs fine now besides battery not lasting like it use to and occasional wifi disconnects

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

If you have read the posts it is clear that the upgrade is good, Apple has a good track record of making sure their upgrades work and do not cause problems. My friend held off because of the Apple Maps. now Apple has the Google Maps again so all is back to normal. If you don't wish to upgrade just don't.

cruiserunner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good advice is given here but do understand everyone's situation may differ. After I upgraded to 6.0.1 I no longer can update apps or do a backup. I also get prompted multiple times a session at random times to enter my password, when there should not be a need to enter a password. I guess I will have to do a reset and one by one repurchase or re-download all my 100 or so apps. If the previous version works and you have an IPod2, I would think twice before updating.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
cruiserunner said:
Good advice is given here but do understand everyone's situation may differ. After I upgraded to 6.0.1 I no longer can update apps or do a backup. I also get prompted multiple times a session at random times to enter my password, when there should not be a need to enter a password. I guess I will have to do a reset and one by one repurchase or re-download all my 100 or so apps. If the previous version works and you have an IPod2, I would think twice before updating.

Your download must have been corrupted, that's not how iOS 6.0.1 is supposed to act. You should connect your iPad to iTunes on your computer and try downloading iOS 6.0.1 again, after making sure that your iPad is backed up.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Your download must have been corrupted, that's not how iOS 6.0.1 is supposed to act. You should connect your iPad to iTunes on your computer and try downloading iOS 6.0.1 again, after making sure that your iPad is backed up.

And / or just call Apple!!! If I were the OP, I would be spending my time trying to get my iPad fixed rather than ranting on the forum forever.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts