What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to iOS 5.1 - performance?

jgm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi:

I have an iPad 2 with iOS 5.01 (just 2 months old). I am pretty happy so far with its performance, and have never experienced any battery problems. Now iOS 5.1 is available and, as far as i can see (and correct me if i am wrong), it does not seem to offer great advantages over 5.01. On the other hand, i am under the impression that iOS 5.1 was designed with the new iPad in mind, that we know has better hardware (more RAM, better processor). So, my fear is to upgrade just to find out that performance worsens. And, as far as i know (i am new to the Apple world), downgrade to a previous Operating System release is not easy to accomplish.

So, is there any advice you can give me on this subject?
What is the general consenssus so far? Is it convenient for iPad 2 users to update to iOS 5.1?

Thanks.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I just upgraded my ipad2 from 5.01 to 5.1 this last weekend. Why? Because it's newer than 5.01. It's progress. Why wouldn't I?

Did it loose performance? Certainly not. Can't see why it would. 5.1 is progress not a hindrance. On the other hand though, I can't see any difference or improvements. But at least I'm up to date. And up to date can't be a bad thing.

Eluded

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bat life

I just upgraded my ipad2 from 5.01 to 5.1 this last weekend. Why? Because it's newer than 5.01. It's progress. Why wouldn't I?

battery life mig be me reason. Latest rev of software doesn't mean the best. Ask any iPhone3 or iPad1 user that went to ios5. Or win xp users who went to vista because it was newer.

5.1 did help my phone but not gonna do it on the pad.

Go here discussions.apple.com/thread/3801192?start=0&tstart0 to see iPad 2 issues with 5.1

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Didn't upset me. I think the vast majority of users benefit (as in they don't loose out). There's always going to be peeps who don't gain.

Didn't see any improvements, but didn't not either.

Last edited:

pyewacket

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not noticed any benefit..

But...I now have 2 apps [games] that will no longer play..I assume this is due to the upgrade as many have posted the same thing on one of the games..

The developers do not seem at all concerned..neither have bothered to answer my emails..

Is it possible to step back to the previous version...

Leon

rey_1178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm getting my ipad2 tomorrow but i can tell you that 5.1 got rid of all the issues i was having on my original ipad.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing. I think I've decided to stick the iPad 2 with the 5.0.1 since it works perfectly and I'm concerned about the MB size of the upgrade and the new upgraded apps I'll be forced into that support retina. On my original (1) however, the few posts suggesting it might run better with 5.1 than 5.0.1 have peaked my interest. For me, despite the gains of iCloud and reminders, going from 4.3.5 to 5.0.1 was a mistake. My (1) runs more "sticky" and I lost the ability to "open in" bank PDF files in other apps due to "so called security" improvements that came with 5. Not all improvement are improvements.

Most reactions

Latest posts