What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unlocked-what does it mean?

timtruro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking at iPads for sale on EBay recently and several are described as 'unlocked '. I'm not sure what this means. Does it have to do with whether the machine was assigned to AT&T or Verizon from the factory, so that unlocked means it is unassigned? I know that when I have gone to buy cellular data plan time my iPad directs me to AT&T . But it also looks like I could deal with Verizon or another carrier if I wished.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unlocked means it is not locked to any one carrier. That does not mean you can switch between AT&T and Verizon. There are basic hardware differences in their services. What it does mean is that if another carrier supports the same frequencies and protocols, you can use that carriers.

It is mostly about being able to move between the GSM carriers on the AT&T iPad, though even there you have to pay attention to what frequencies they support. In the U.S. the selection is sparse. In Europe it's a big deal, with their many carrier choices all running GSM.

Verizon is pretty much a rule unto itself. It's CDMA 3G service is not compatible with anything else in the U.S. and little else world wide. Being locked or unlocked has almost no meaning for Verizon's iPad 2 model. For the new iPad it does mean something, since the Verizon version will include a world GSM radio as well as CDMA.

OP
timtruro

timtruro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Unlocked means it is not locked to any one carrier. That does not mean you can switch between AT&T and Verizon. There are basic hardware differences in their services. What it does mean is that if another carrier supports the same frequencies and protocols, you can use that carriers.

It is mostly about being able to move between the GSM carriers on the AT&T iPad, though even there you have to pay attention to what frequencies they support. In the U.S. the selection is sparse. In Europe it's a big deal, with their many carrier choices all running GSM.

Verizon is pretty much a rule unto itself. It's CDMA 3G service is not compatible with anything else in the U.S. and little else world wide. Being locked or unlocked has almost no meaning for Verizon's iPad 2 model. For the new iPad it does mean something, since the Verizon version will include a world GSM radio as well as CDMA.

Thanks, that helps....

eco41679

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also looking to purchase an ipad on Ebay. How was your experience? What did you do in the end? Did you purchase a "locked" or "unlocked" one?

eco41679

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a new ipad user and am still not clear what you mean in your post. I assume I will need to purchase a data plan for my ipad from either of the two carriers mentioned. Are they both good?

karl61058

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, am wondering about the unlocked feature. Do you need to be attached to a carrier? If I wanted to only use an iPad for wifi, is this possible with an unlocked iPad?
Please forgive my newness to the Mac world in general.
Thanks.
k

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, am wondering about the unlocked feature. Do you need to be attached to a carrier? If I wanted to only use an iPad for wifi, is this possible with an unlocked iPad?
Thanks.
k
If you don't need cellular data, get a Wi-Fi only iPad.

iPad connects to the Internet through a high-speed Wi-Fi network, like the wireless Internet router in your home or the wireless hotspots you find in a coffee shop, school library or airport. There are Wi-Fi hotspots all over the world, and iPad finds them automatically.
Apple

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Karl...... - I agree w/ Johanna, i.e. if you only want to connect to a Wi-Fi network whether at home, locally, or 'on the road', then a 'Wi-Fi only' device is fine for you - both wife & I are on our second iPads (iPad Air 2 for me & new iPad Mini 4 for her), and I've always purchased just the Wi-Fi only ones - in our travels, we virtually always have Wi-Fi options (e.g. in hotels). SO, if you don't need cellular, then save some money, first on the iDevice itself and then more importantly on a data plan! Dave :)

Most reactions