What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a difference between "Unlocked" and "Verizon" specified Ipads?

johnny ringo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm shopping for my first ever Ipad. When looking on Ebay and other sites I see many listings for "unlocked" devices. Many are listed as "new in box". Others show Verizon as the designated carrier. I use Verizon. What concerns should I have, if any?

Here are two examples:
APPLE 9.7" IPAD PRO 32GB UNLOCKED VERIZON WIFI CELLULAR

IPAD PRO 32GB UNLOCKED VERIZON WIFI

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As well as making sure to buy from well established sellers your main concern is that the iPad you are considering buying is not iCloud Activation Locked. Activation Lock will prevent the iPad from being activated unless the Apple ID and password of the original owner is entered. Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

To check the activation lock status of an iOS device, go here and enter the serial or IMEI number. https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

With that being said, newer iPads cannot be locked to a specific carrier in the same way that cell phones can.

If Verizon is the designated carrier it means that there's a pre-installed Verizon SIM card. That SIM card can be removed and replaced with another carrier's SIM card.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts