What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unique use for iPad - reading the Bible in ASL

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unique use for iPad - reading the Bible in ASL

I happened on a web site reviewing the video idiosyncrasies of the iPad. Here the concern was for making the Bible available in American Sign Language. It appears that among those who sign there is a need to convey in sign accurately what is on the written page in a group setting.

ASL use video for that and some carry an iPhone for that purpose. But apparently the iPad does video differently than an iPhone. I did not know that.

This well done review highlights the differences in finding a precise place in a video on an iPad as well as a general review of various iPad video features.

Link below
MobileMe Gallery

When discussing the Bible in a group study I could see the use of ASL as each person communicates their thoughts just as you and I talk to each other.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Interesting. One of the great things about a piece of technology like the iPad, is the innovative ways people will use it. Good stuff.

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. One of the great things about a piece of technology like the iPad, is the innovative ways people will use it. Good stuff.
iPad Video Demo

He mentioned Dragon Dictation as another tool he uses. Does anyone know how much text text they can generate with the iPad version in one go?

How accurate did you find Dragon Dictation?

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More on Dragon Dictation and how it is used

More on Dragon Dictation and how it is used

iPad Video Demo

He mentioned Dragon Dictation as another tool he uses. Does anyone know how much text text they can generate with the iPad version in one go?

How accurate did you find Dragon Dictation?
General usage information

Composing Messages

Launch the Dragon Dictation application. Tap the red recording button in the middle of the screen to initiate the voice recognition process. While the application is recording, speak your message. Tap the “Done” button (for the iPhone™ and iPod touch™ users) or anywhere on the screen (for iPad™ users) when you finish speaking. You can also set auto end-of-speech setting to ON to detect end of speech. You can tap the red recording button again to dictate additional text.

Correcting Text

To edit transcribed text, tap the word you would like to correct. When you touch the word you will see a drop-down list of alternative suggestions. To correct a phrase drag your finger to adjacent words until the entire phrase is highlighted. If you prefer, you can record a new phrase by pressing the red record icon while the original phrase is highlighted. The phrase will be replaced with the new phrase you speak.

Typing Text

In addition to composing messages by voice, Dragon Dictation provides the ability for users to either enter new text or edit text they have dictated by tapping the keyboard icon.

iPad™ users

dictation_flow_ipad.jpg
ipad_notes.jpg

Dragon Dictation Notes™ is a new feature that lets users easily view and manage texts for multiple documents. Dragon Dictation can be used in the landscape or portrait mode on the iPad™. When using in the portrait mode, the Notes are minimized in the top left corner, and can be expanded by tapping on it.

There is an "i" info icon on the application, by tapping it you can get some basic information on using Dragon Dictation on the iPad™, and a list of commonly used commands and punctuations.

Saving Dictated text to Notes

Your dictated text is automatically saved in Dragon Dictation Notes™ where you can review and edit any Note by clicking on it. In order to create a new Note click on the “+” symbol on the top right.

Sending Dictated text from Notes

Select the Note you want to send. Then tap the icon on the top right of the screen and select how you want to send your message:
Send Email: Will launch your email client and insert your composed text into a new email message. This Note will be deleted from Dragon Dictation Notes.
Cut Note: Will move your Note to the iPad™ clipboard and will delete it from Dragon Dictation Notes.
Copy Note: Will copy your Note to the iPad™ clipboard and will still remain in Dragon Dictation Notes.

Deleting from Notes

A Note is automatically deleted when you “Send Email” or “Cut Notes”. However, if you want to manually delete notes you can:

• Tap the Trash icon and choose:
    • Last Dictation: Will delete your last dictated note.
    • Note: Will delete currently selected Note.
  • Slide your finger on the Note title from left to right and select delete.

Last edited:
OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Review: Dragon Dictation

Review: Dragon Dictation for iPad

by Xavier on April 5, 2010

Short Version:

Dragon Dictation for iPad is a very useful application that transcribes your voice into text.

dragon_dictation-122x119.jpg
This is Xavier and I want to show you my favorite application on the iPad. Dragon Dictation is an application from Nuance that takes your voice and turns it into text. One of the major limitations of the iPad is that it can be difficult to use the on screen keyboard to write long e-mails or documents. To get around this limitation all you have to do is download Dragon Dictation and plug in your favorite headset. After you’re done with that all you have to do is open application and speak. It’s not always 100% perfect, but it sure is a lot better than using two thumbs to type hundreds of words.After you’re done writing you can copy and paste the text into any application on the iPad or send it as text in an e-mail. Dragon Dictation is free for iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad users.
Since all of the voice to text transcription takes place on Nuance’s servers, you do need to be connected to the Internet when using it. You’ll also want to use it in a relatively quiet environment where people won’t be bothered by your voice.
When you open Dragon Dictation for iPad all you’ll see is a big record button. When you tap the screen, your iPad will begin recording your voice. Once you’re finished recording, you need to tap again to stop. A recording of your voice is uploaded to Nuance’s servers and transcribes it into text. The text can then be emailed or copy and pasted into any application on your iPad. If there are errors in your transcription you can tap at words and choose from a list of alternate words. If the word you’re looking for isn’t in the correction list, you can manually fix it with the iPad’s on-screen keyboard. It’s not possible to train Dragon Dictation like with Nuance’s desktop applications, but the application will read your contact’s names so it can transcribe them accurately.
Typing with your voice does take some practice and getting used to. I’ve used Dragon Naturally Speaking and MacSpeech on my PC notebooks and MacBook Pro, so I’m accustomed to speaking punctuations and avoiding ‘uhs’ and ‘ums.’ Humans automatically filter out fragments of words or stutters when listening to friends speak, but computers don’t know how to do that. With some practice, you’ll find yourself typing on the iPad at over 40 words per minute. The faster you speak, the more errors you’ll find in your transcription.
Dragon Dictation is a great application, but there are some improvements that need to be made. You’re limited to about 30 seconds of recording before Dragon Dictation automatically stops recording and starts transcribing. I understand the need for a recording time limit, but there should really be a countdown timer or an audible alert that recording is about to come to an end. Another problem is that record button at the top of the notes screen is too small. It’s too easy to accidentially place the cursor in your first paragraph of notes rather than hit the record button. I ended up with some very jumbled text because of this a couple of times. Nuance should move the record button to the bottom of the notes screen.
Dragon Dictation for iPad isn’t a replacement for Dragon Naturally Speaking or MacSpeach, but it’s much better than typing on the iPad.

ayerbusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What can I say? I am very impressed with the iPad. It is not only trendy and hot, it also helps to get closer to God by reading the Bible. It is really helpful. Carrying your iPad everywhere seems like carrying also a bible.

Most reactions

Latest posts