What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uninstall IOS 5?

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note: Not sure what forum to put this in?

My upgrade went perfectly but I find my iPad 1 is noticeably slower. I get a substancial lag between typing a letter and it appearing on the screen. Plus I don't like the TAB browsing in Safari.

Can I downgrade to my old software version which I think was ios 4.0?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The delay in the letter appearing on the screen might not be down to the iPad. Where are you noticing this lag? In Safari or in Office apps?

Try it in an app that is not Internet related - such as Pages.

Tim

OP
Hellion

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,
The lag I'm getting is when using Safari. I clear the Cache a few times every day and that does seem to help.

I personally find ios 5 a bit clunky. And Safari STILL crashes quite often. I thought they may have sorted that out from ios 4.0?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - the delay in Safari may not be due to the iOS. Computers use 'full duplex' communications - when you type a character on the keyboard in Safari, it's sent over the Internet to the website, which then 'echoes' that character all the way back to your iPad, which then displays it on the screen. So everything you type traverses the Internet between your iPad and the website twice, before it's displayed on the screen.

This seemingly silly arrangement is there so that the website can modify the character that you type - for example when typing a password it can choose not to send back to your screen the character that you type, but rather a '*' or something similar.

So the delay between you typing and the character appearing on the screen might not necessarily be down to the iPad, it could be a slow Internet link or heavily loaded web server.

In terms of Safari 'crashing' this is caused by Safari running out of system memory or RAM. The iPad1 only has 256MB RAM (the iPad2 has 512MB) and, when the page that's being loaded up exceeds the available RAM, Safari 'crashes' back to the Home screen. You can 'improve' the situation by occasionally switching off the iPad completely by holding down the Power button. When the iPad powers up from being switched completely off (rather than simply being put to sleep by a brief press of the Power button) it does a whole load of 'tidying up', one part of which is to reclaim RAM from apps that no longer need it and by removing non-active apps from RAM. This frees up a whole load of RAM which Safari can use - making it far less likely to 'crash'.

Tim

OP
Hellion

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thankyou Tim.

I really appreciate that. 'Knowledge is power' as they say.

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

They have to fix some of these bugs in ISO 5. I'm working very closely with Apple currently with some interesting issues with iCloud.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried a restart, when I upgraded my iPad 1 was very slow but after a restart everything was fast as greased lightning. To do this hold the on/off button until the red slider appears then slide to off. To restart the iPad hold the on/off and home buttons for 1 or 2 seconds.

The Archangel

OP
Hellion

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Gabriel - Thnxs I'll give it a go.

PS
What's the difference between a restart and a reset. Sometimes I reset it by holding the power and home buttons till the Apple logo appears. I don't know what it does though :-\

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dickie_Lad said:
@Gabriel - Thnxs I'll give it a go.

PS
What's the difference between a restart and a reset. Sometimes I reset it by holding the power and home buttons till the Apple logo appears. I don't know what it does though :-\

Not a huge difference but Apple advise a restart first in all instances and if that doesn't work then go for a reset as the last resort.

The Archangel

OP
Hellion

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@f4780y Many Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow.

What actually is DFU mode. Is it a programing mode? I remember having to use it when jailbreaking my iPod Touch 2g so I could run Apps in the 'background'.

EDIT: I just found out about DFU mode on one of the links you supplied

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the window is now closed. I did say you had to be quick! I'm afraid there is no way to downgrade unless you previously took the time to save your signatures from Apple using TinyUmbrella. If not, its now too late. Sorry!

OP
Hellion

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@f4780y Aw Shucks, that was quick!

Thankyou for trying help anyway.

Bnagle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having issues also & apparently alot of other people too. Were you able to resolve problems?
Personally I think that iso5 is pure ****. My ipad is noticibly slower, battery life has gotten shorter. Also crashy.

Most reactions

Latest posts