What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uninitiated and Privacy threatening "auto pasting" bug??

Griff15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an unwelcome surprise while playing in online game yesterday and in the chat window. Without me making any effort to copy and paste, some very personal data was pasted and posted into the chat window. That information was from a Word App document.
No "paste" bubble/command appeared, it simply auto pasted into the chat forum and unfortunately included my full name, address, phone number and medical information. A couple of days prior, I had found part of an email in my chat window which at that point only I could see. I was able to delete that. So that message auto pasted but did not autopost.
I immediately closed the Word App, but the same thing happened again. I went back into Word and opened a new document and typed some jibberish on it. Went back to the game and tried to chat. The autopasting and autoposting continued, but at least just with jibberish.
I thought this was a game bug, but the same thing happened in an email I was writing today. Which makes me believe this is an IOS bug. I just did the latest update last night and it is continuing to happen. I have an IPad 4.
What can I do about this? I might not always remember to create a phony "jibberish" doc after using the copy/paste function. Scary thing to have your personal data divulged through no effort of your own.
Please help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First I've heard of a problem like this.

The only thing I can think of are iOS 9 are the keyboard shortcuts added in iOS 9. They show up as small icons just above the keyboard, to the left and right of the suggestions. It can be easy to tap these by mistake. The paste shortcut looks like a clipboard.

Shortcuts can be turned off in Settings > General > Keyboard

OP
G

Griff15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First I've heard of a problem like this.

The only thing I can think of are iOS 9 are the keyboard shortcuts added in iOS 9. They show up as small icons just above the keyboard, to the left and right of the suggestions. It can be easy to tap these by mistake. The paste shortcut looks like a clipboard.

Shortcuts can be turned off in Settings > General > Keyboard

Thank you, twerppoet. I will try that. Should I also turn of the ""shortcut on the keyboard or is that unrelated?

OP
G

Griff15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem.[/QUOTE

Sorry to ask another question, but I've realized that with shortcuts disabled, I can no longer just press and hold in the body of a message to insert a photo or link. But I tried turning them back on and I still can't insert anything. Is this an IOS 9.3 issue now? I'm no longer sure how to do this. Any suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no setting that will turn on/off the long press pop-up menu; (cut/copy/paste/select/select all/add attachments/etc). The options in the menu vary depending on the app and context.

The main requirement is that you must either bein in edit mode in a text field, or have some selected text before the pop-up menu will appear. You know you are in edit mode when the cursor is in the field and/or the keyboard is displayed (keyboard will not be displayed if you have an physical keyboard active).

If those things are true, and you still can't get the pop-up menu, try reseting the iPad. Hold down the home and power buttons until the Apple Logo appears. This erases nothing. It's just a restart with a little extra kick.

OP
G

Griff15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Must definitely be App dependent. Longhold in Yahoo Mail gives 3 basic options: select/selectall/paste, even though I enabled access to photos for Yahoo in privacy settings. same in one of my gmail accts, yet interestingly in my other gmail acct, I have full function. (And all in edit mode).
I did do a reset as well...

Thanks once again for good Info and suggestions!

Most reactions

Latest posts