What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to update IPad due to limited storage space

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have an old iPad Air which is still in perfect working order but unfortunately it has only 16GB of storage. I have deleted most of the the APPs I don't use and my photos are stored in the cloud. I cant update update to the latest version of iOS, 14.7.1 due to limited space. I have have noticed Apple System is taking up 6.5GB and Other is 4.52GB. Can anyone please advise if there files be deleted safely and if so what is the process.

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, I have an old iPad Air which is still in perfect working order but unfortunately it has only 16GB of storage. I have deleted most of the the APPs I don't use and my photos are stored in the cloud. I cant update update to the latest version of iOS, 14.7.1 due to limited space. I have have noticed Apple System is taking up 6.5GB and Other is 4.52GB. Can anyone please advise if there files be deleted safely and if so what is the process.
Hi - your iPad may not be able to take the iPadOS 14.7.1 update depending on the model - go to Settings > About and tell us your 'Model Name' and 'Model Number'; also you can enter your Serial # in the EveryMac Website for detailed information including which iPadOS can be installed (see images below) - the iPads that can be updated to 14.7.1 are listed at the bottom; if your iPad Air is the first model, you're likely stuck w/ an older iOS. Dave :)

IMG_2264.PNG

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 7.26.13 PM.png

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your reply, I have an I-Pad Air 2 have already updated to version 14.4.2. Would it help if I returned the I-pad to factory setting s. Currently I have 1.7GB unused

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your reply, I have an I-Pad Air 2 have already updated to version 14.4.2. Would it help if I returned the I-pad to factory setting s. Currently I have 1.7GB unused

Hi again - first, go to Settings > General > iPad Storage; below on the right your device's storage will be shown as a bar graph and what categories are using that storage (if you can post a pic back here of your image, might help); also, information is provided below that bar item for you to enable several features to reduce storage and then a LONG listing of apps and their storage usage; hitting the arrow for each app will breakdown the size of the app and its data. So let us know what is using up your storage.

Second, the 1.7 GB of 'free storage' that remains on your 16 GB iPad is insufficient to download and update a modern iPadOS - you likely need over twice that amount - more information HERE with suggestions that may (or may not) help? Please address these issues before 'erasing' your iPad - 16 GB is now a measly amount of storage on present iPads - I don't know your budget, but may to time to consider upgrading to a newer model w/ much more storage, just saying. Dave :)

IMG_2267.PNG

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply and apologies for my delay in responding, off in a short break. I deleted a number of apps which allowed me to download 14.7.1, but it will never take the pending update to IOS 15. I'll wait until October and buy the latest I-Pad Air.

Once again thanks your reply was very comprehensive.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply and apologies for my delay in responding, off in a short break. I deleted a number of apps which allowed me to download 14.7.1, but it will never take the pending update to IOS 15. I'll wait until October and buy the latest I-Pad Air.

Once again thanks your reply was very comprehensive.
Thanks for your reply - always helps others in similar situations - going to a newer model w/ more storage will be a great solution and I hope you will enjoy. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts