What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Un-tether from MS Outlook

thewolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have all my contacts, 1100 notes and my calendar in Outlook 2003. I add items normally through my desktop and then sync my iPad and iPod with my desktop on iTunes using Outlook.

I started using Evernote, which is great and see that I can import my notes. Now I have to find a solution for my contacts and calendar.

I want to be able to "see" my info from any device and have them synced.

I haven't looked but think Google may be able to handle my contacts and calendar.

Any ideas?

OP
thewolfe

thewolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess my only concern is my ipad & iPod are only wifi. If my internet is down I wouldn't be able to access anything or update them. Guess that's true using iTunes, eyh?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can sync Google with your iPad/iPod by adding your Google account as an Exchange account. this places your Contacts and Calendars in the iPad's native apps. They will be available offline, but of course you will have to connect to the internet for any changes made on the iPad or other device to sync to the rest.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help

OP
thewolfe

thewolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another question. Can I, from time to time switch back and forth between Google and Outlook as a backup? Looks like I would just have to change my iTunes Sync preferences.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It should be possible to to sync your Google contacts to Outlook as well. I seem to remember other's saying they've done it.

It would not require iTunes, but the addition of your Google account to Outlook. I'm not familiar with Outlook, but a Google search should turn up some kind help page.

dpotter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It should be possible to to sync your Google contacts to Outlook as well. I seem to remember other's saying they've done it.

It would not require iTunes, but the addition of your Google account to Outlook. I'm not familiar with Outlook, but a Google search should turn up some kind help page.

You might check out Plaxo -- works very well for me, keeps Outlook 2003, IPad, Gmail all in synch...

OP
thewolfe

thewolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need Contacts and Calendars. Does it do both?

OP
thewolfe

thewolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ops! the cost just knocked out Plaxo. Free is for me.

Thanks for the response.

Most reactions

Latest posts