What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultimate Couch Potato iPad Stand

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Yvan Brillant idea ….

Men spend time in the living room, and women in the kitchen , is why my Wife install her iPad like this , using our windshield :D :D

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 1,421

lemons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you guys suggest how to build this? For example:
  • what boom stand to get
  • how to build (or buy) a panel
  • how to attach panel/case to boom so that angle is adjustable (swivel)

would something like the RAM cradle make it easier to make?

This is great idea, iVan, and I'd love to get this setup myself (for bed reading), but I need a little more guidance, being a DIY novice =).

OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you guys suggest how to build this? For example:
  • what boom stand to get
  • how to build (or buy) a panel
  • how to attach panel/case to boom so that angle is adjustable (swivel)

would something like the RAM cradle make it easier to make?

This is great idea, iVan, and I'd love to get this setup myself (for bed reading), but I need a little more guidance, being a DIY novice =).

Sure. I'll photograph the individual parts tomorrow morning.

OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, here it goes.
I made the cradle myself because it's my line of work but by preference I would have used the one that IpadOne has just shown us and put that on the mic boom.

The mic boom is a generic mass produced in China but I don't like that the joints and fittings are made of plastic. I got it here. But I'm in Canada. Find yourself a store, there's bound to be one in your region.

To give mobility in two more axis', I put a speaker wall mount bracket between the cradle and the mic boom. Got a pair at Walmart.

4b00e70f.png

The flat part is the one that goes to the wall when you install a speaker. You can see it in this next picture. There was a hole in the fixture that I enlarged with a Dremel grinder to insert the tip of the mic boom and glue it in with epoxy.
64a04dae.png

Then I just screwed that spkr. Mount to the back of the cradle. It can also rotate on itself there giving the iPad it's freedom of orientation at will. The only thing that would prevent movement is having it plugged in.
9df6ae8a.png

The cradle is a piece of scrap mdf that I lined with self adhesive felt. You'll notice door bumpers on the surface to accommodate the rounded iPad back.
e5416810.png

The most complicated part is the rails that accommodate the iPad. They're made of simple pine that I cut in an 'L' shape, cut to length and lined with felt. Make sure that there is felt everywhere the iPad touches. I installed rails on the two length of the cradle and a little piece at the bottom. Make sure to avoid all buttons and controls for smooth operation. Sliding the iPad in with bottom first is what I wanted. It goes in nicely and snugly.
6848391e.png

Again, if you can find a clip-in cradle, half the work is done. You could affix it to the speaker wall mounts with rivets instead of screws.
Total time for this one, two hours... When you know where you're going.

lemons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so say I have a crade like [gpscity.com/ram-mount-apple-ipad-cradle-ram-hol-ap8u.html], which apparently has a AMPS hole pattern (1.813" apart?). Now, I'm wondering what to use to connect that to the boom. I suppose a speaker wall mount bracket, like iVan used, would do the job, but I'm wondering if there isn't anything that doesn't require drilling or gluing. One solution is a rail base, like [ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045050051049090085/Default.aspx]. Any ideas?

OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are many solutions but you have to measure things before you purchase. When I shopped around with a measuring tape, stores people took me for some kind of lunatic. Then you have to do a lot of explaining and wind up losing time.

There were some models of stands sold for tablet pcs. Those are really expensive and lack iPad retaining hardware.

The one I was tempted to get at first was proposed for iPad from Sleek Gear, but it isn't yet available. And still I don't know how the iPad is fixed on it.

Last edited:

lemons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody know how to find out how much weight boom stands can support? I'm trying to decide which one to buy online. A couple popular, cheap ones are:
  • bhphotovideo.com/c/product/290489-REG/Ultimate_Support_15159_MC_40_Microphone_Boom_Stand.html#specifications
  • amazon.com/Stage-Stands-7701B-Tripod-Microphone/dp/B000978D58]Amazon.com: On Stage Stands 7701B Tripod Boom Microphone Stand: Musical Instruments

However, I have no idea how much weight they can support. The ipad itself is 1.5lb and the mount should add another 1.5 pounds, totaling 3lb. Most mics are less than that (about 2lb, I think), so it's hard to judge from reviews.

OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody know how to find out how much weight boom stands can support? I'm trying to decide which one to buy online. A couple popular, cheap ones are:
  • bhphotovideo.com/c/product/290489-REG/Ultimate_Support_15159_MC_40_Microphone_Boom_Stand.html#specifications
  • amazon.com/Stage-Stands-7701B-Tripod-Microphone/dp/B000978D58]Amazon.com: On Stage Stands 7701B Tripod Boom Microphone Stand: Musical Instruments

However, I have no idea how much weight they can support. The ipad itself is 1.5lb and the mount should add another 1.5 pounds, totaling 3lb. Most mics are less than that (about 2lb, I think), so it's hard to judge from reviews.
Don't forget to add a counterweight. The one I put is 5pounds. The stand won't stay up without it.
The one from bhphoto is exactly what I got. It's flimsy.
Try a music shop that sells used instruments. They have the ones that were made a long time ago with 1inch steel pipe. Those are very sturdy.

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats very cool. Good job. I was thinkn it was a music book stand. Hmm...thatll work also ;-)

Twiddles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having some seriously wicked thoughts regarding an iPad, a metal boom arm and, a 10lb weight...... Dangling from the other end of the boom....

Options:

Hit the boom = iPad top
Add weight = ipad catapult (looking for style points not just distance)
Remove weight = iPad guillotine (autocorrect Ty) okay maybe not but it's not fun thinking about it slowly dropping.

benst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
having some seriously wicked thoughts regarding an ipad, a metal boom arm and, a 10lb weight...... Dangling from the other end of the boom....

Options:

Hit the boom = ipad top
add weight = ipad catapult (looking for style points not just distance)
remove weight = ipad guillotine (autocorrect ty) okay maybe not but it's not fun thinking about it slowly dropping.

rofl

Most reactions