What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultimate Couch Potato iPad Stand

jdmdrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow maybe ill try using a stand i have laying around from a camera

MacDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Wedgepad finally arrived after approximately 27 days when it should have arrived in 3-5 days.

Hopefully, my shipping experience was an anomaly. I was very patient. After almost the second week, I started checking for it in the package room of my apartment building. After the second check, I emailed the company with my order number to see about my order status. Two days later, I received an advertisement from the company and two days after that, my WedgePad arrived (in lieu of an email response).

The first thing I saw when I removed the plastic bag was a zipper. The first thing I did was unzip the zipper and out flew a small amount of the stuffing, incredibly lightweight and very sticky tiny balls. Too bad it didn't have a post-it type warning label for impulsive people like me. Also after almost a month, the last thing on my mind were the components of the WedgePad.

I've been trying out the actual product for several hours and I love it. It's exactly what I wanted: a comfortable stand that conforms to the contours of any surface, and in my case I wanted it so I can balance it partially on my lap and the arm of the couch while I use it.

I bought the all-black model: a bean bag with black elastic straps at each corner to secure the iPad. It can be used at a 30 or 45 degree angle and just weighs 5oz. It costs $27.00.

I also like it because the microsuade fiber cover of the stand grips the cloth of the couch material for added stability. It's the exact size of the iPad at the elastic band contact points and the angle and height are comfortable for reading while I'm eating and the iPad is on the coffee table.

The elastic straps are long enough to fit the iPad with my Apple SmartCover and clam shell back and hopefully they will be long enough for the Grove case as well.

I originally bought it so I'd start getting into the habit of using it instead of folding the pretty smart cover of my Grove case when it arrives. However, like the compass stand I bought to avoid the same issue of rolling the Grove cover into a stand (for use at work), I prefer it to using the Apple SmartCover as a stand.

The only disadvantage is that the elastic straps obscure the on-off button at the top of the iPad and the orientation button on the side, but, at least for me, that's not a big deal.

Looks like what i was looking for. In for two. lets hope i get it before Christmas :)

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cliveawn said:
I use my wifes breastfeeding pillow! Dont laugh please!!
Its a big horseshoe shaped pillow which snuggles up under your arms and rests on your lap to place my ipad2 with targus 360 cover.

Now, that is an ingenious solution!

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MacDan said:
Looks like what i was looking for. In for two. lets hope i get it before Christmas :)

I still love the product and use it every day. I hope you don't have the shipping and customer service problems I had.

I'd be interested in your experience with the company if you've still decided to take a chance on it.

MacDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still love the product and use it every day. I hope you don't have the shipping and customer service problems I had.

I'd be interested in your experience with the company if you've still decided to take a chance on it.

According to the USPS tracking number, it's on it's way. Didn't email or try to contact customer service so i'm not sure if they're still having problems in that department.

Gonna write a full review when i receive my wedge pads. Thanks for the heads up

grimbarian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brilliant iVan.
After reading this topic I had a look round, bought a German made mic stand iPad holder and a cheap mic stand and had a similar setup in no time. Fortunately so far I haven't needed the counterbalance. I did have to make a small alteration to the holder. It would swivel downwards 90 degrees but a small rod in a curved slot stopped it tilting backwards. A quick hacksaw job shortened the rod so I could tilt it in both directions. I would never have thought of the idea without your initial description.
£30 for holder, £14 for stand. With carriage costs, total around £50. Much less that the nearest commercial product to do a similar job.
John (the Grimbarian)

Chunga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I been looking for a good pillow to
Use in my chase chair! I have even been drawing up plans for new iPad / tablet stand

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Purpleorchid said:
Nice and couch-potato worthy. Here's a suggestion, if I may...zip-tie your charger base onto the boom stand so it isn't just hanging in the air. I can see an accidental unplugging if it's hanging mid-air like that.

Better advice: $3-$4 10' USB extension cable. There may be longer but you can also put one or more together and it works just the same. Leave the adapter at the wall.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MacDan said:
According to the USPS tracking number, it's on it's way. Didn't email or try to contact customer service so i'm not sure if they're still having problems in that department.

Gonna write a full review when i receive my wedge pads. Thanks for the heads up

That's encouraging.

When it arrives, just don't mess with the zipper like silly me! :D

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MacDan said:
hahaha:eek: i should have listened. But i got most of them back in. I wrote a full review here. http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-accessories/57620-ipad-wedgepad-stand-review.html

Thanks again for the tip. i really love it

I'm glad you like the product and had a better shipping experience than me.

I still say that a better company would have included an inexpensive warning label about the zipper.

I read your review and I completely agree that the advertised viewing angles don't mean because of how malleable the stand is. I tend to mold the stand to optimize viewing based on the angle of the stand on the arm of my couch.

Mksanva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a good idea but very un-apple like, maybe Ive could take a look at this.
Maybe you should build something so that it anchors to the sofa. For 80$ I'm sure there are stands like these made for the iPad.

cnacoons77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a idea using a basic Camera Tri-Pod, being as they are portable, and adjustable. All One would have to do is find a effective way to hold and support the weight of the iPad. Im thinking a slide type adapter for iPad and would also adapt to work with my macbook air 13". I just havent figured out how to make it just yet. Looks great in my mind thou.

Most reactions