What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Typing l instead of i

BLUEVIEW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to set the ipad up for my wife for a Christmas present. I am pretty computer literate.....when simply typing her email address to sign up for the 3G access here is what is happening:

I type jerrimail@
what actually comes out is jerrimall@
In other words EVERY time it will allow me to type the small letter "i" in "jerri" but every time I type the small letter "i" in "mail" it comes out an "l" instead. I tried it about 10 times with the same result.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the correction box comes up just tap it then finish the email. You can also go to settings and disable the auto correct. It can be quite annoying when typing email addys...

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EDIT: Danny beat me with his response while I was searching through my screen shots!

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

Yes, it can be annoying to have to iPad try and correct something that isn't wrong! I have found that after a few tries, the iPad just gives up and puts your new word into its internal dictionary.

But in the mean time, you can always turn off the Auto Correction --

ipad27-1.jpg

But don't blame me for your typos if you do this!

Last edited:

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While we're on the auto correct topic ... is there any way to add personalized auto corrects as in BB's Auto Text?

cwwright

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem, needing to type a small h for a password, but the ipad keeps making it a capital H so the password does not work. How do I overcome this problem?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you are typing that "h," ensure the caps key (the up arrow) is not blue (whether a solid blue or an outlined blue). That'll make sure the iPad types a lowercase letter.

Marilyn

cwwright

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Capital H

Thanks Marilyn. How do you ensure the cap key is not blue? You are talking to a grandmother, who is not the most proficient.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cwwright said:
Thanks Marilyn. How do you ensure the cap key is not blue? You are talking to a grandmother, who is not the most proficient.

If its blue then tap it once to return to normal (a double tap will make it solid blue to indicate that the Caps Lock is on, if this happens just tap it once again).

The Archangel

cwwright

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If its blue then tap it once to return to normal (a double tap will make it solid blue to indicate that the Caps Lock is on, if this happens just tap it once again).

The Archangel

I am not touching the uparrow key at all and it's not blue but it types a capital nonetheless because it thinks it's the first word in a sentence, I guess. I tried everything, including deleting and trying again with a small h but nothing worked. I finally had to change all my passwords to begin with a capital H.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cwwright said:
I am not touching the uparrow key at all and it's not blue but it types a capital nonetheless because it thinks it's the first word in a sentence, I guess. I tried everything, including deleting and trying again with a small h but nothing worked. I finally had to change all my passwords to begin with a capital H.

Something doesn't sound quite right. Even with the first word of a sentence the shift key will change to a blue outline to show that it will capitalise the next letter typed, see the attached screenshots which show it blue at start of paragraph and sentence and black when mid-sentence.

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-3263106474.png
    image-3263106474.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 190
  • image-4205657385.png
    image-4205657385.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 170
  • image-3717088534.png
    image-3717088534.png
    99 KB · Views: 182

Most reactions