What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two ipdas and one itunes account?

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife and I now each have an ipad. She opened an itunes account when she bought her ipad. My ipad is due to arrive here in a couple of days.

My question is this.....I would like to sync my ipad to my PC when it arrives [my wife's is synced to the Mac she uses]. If I sync my ipad to my pc can I then use her itunes account? I'd like to do this so we can share some of the same apps without having to buy them for each of our
ipads.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Everett

P.S..please excuse typo in header....it won't let me edit that portion!
:eek:

Last edited:

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you will use he same accounr, you will have the same identical iPAD ( regarding Applications) .
If you want different applications you need different accounts.
My advice is to use the same account. You can create a folder in which you may put all your wife's application that you are not using ( She will do the same).
Regarding pictures songs books and magazines, you need not to sync, you may just copy what you or she likes.
That way you have one acount meaning you pay just once for each App

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just authorize her iTunes account on your computer, and you'll be able to use anything on her account. And your iPad will be set up how you want it, not the same as hers. We have three people with iPads in our house, each with their own account and computer. We authorize all accounts on each computer and share apps and music. Just copy her iTunes media folder onto your computer, and you'll have access to all of her media!

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just authorize her iTunes account on your computer, and you'll be able to use anything on her account. And your iPad will be set up how you want it, not the same as hers. We have three people with iPads in our house, each with their own account and computer. We authorize all accounts on each computer and share apps and music. Just copy her iTunes media folder onto your computer, and you'll have access to all of her media!

Just so I'm clear......I should start by setting up a new account on itunes on my computer and in addition to that authorize her itunes account inside that account somehow?...or....
when I first plug my new ipad into my computer I somehow log it in under her name and password instead of creating a new itunes account?

Last edited:

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't have to set up a new one if you don't want to. It will work fine just using hers. Totally up to you!

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much. It sounds like it will be easier to just add my iPad to her itunes account so that's probably what I'll do. Am I correct that I can do this if I sync my iPad to my computer instead of hers or should I sync it on her computer instead of mine?

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so, when my ipad arrives, if I plug it into her computer to sync it it will somehow know that I am adding a second device to her itunes account?

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again.

This is probably best entered as another topic, but how often, after initial syncing, does a person need to sync with the host computer? My wife has had her iPad for months and hasn't reconnected to it since the first time.

lferrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everett said:
Thanks again.

This is probably best entered as another topic, but how often, after initial syncing, does a person need to sync with the host computer? My wife has had her iPad for months and hasn't reconnected to it since the first time.

Hi Everett,

When you sync your iPad with the PC, via iTunes, you back up your IPad and all the apps you have purchased. Also, it provides an opportunity to update the iOS, if a new one is available.

Lowell

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We sync to our own computers, but keep a backup of our iTunes media folder. The others just copy what they want from there or log in on my account and redownload to their iPads. Sounds more complicated than it is :) I had friends who were married and yet each buying the same apps, who were so shocked when I told them it wasn't necessary!

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We sync to our own computers, but keep a backup of our iTunes media folder. The others just copy what they want from there or log in on my account and redownload to their iPads. Sounds more complicated than it is :) I had friends who were married and yet each buying the same apps, who were so shocked when I told them it wasn't necessary!

Yes, it's nice that Apple allows for some flexibility with the devices.
I thought the iPad was a silly idea when it was first announced but I have sure changed my tune [or "itune" as the case may be! :)]. I use it
virtually every day and haul it around with me to work and on travel!!!

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After having the first gen iPad a year, and now my iPad 2, I still use it enough to kill the battery every day! Not sure how I ever got along without it!

Reaction score
cherhall said:
After having the first gen iPad a year, and now my iPad 2, I still use it enough to kill the battery every day! Not sure how I ever got along without it!

That sounds very familiar. My iPad needs recharging everyday, though I tend to charge it up once it drops below 50%, to avoid getting the battery below 10% every day.

I have no idea, how I lived with the 3h battery life of my laptop.

Conclusion: the ipad's battery life needs to be improved.

Most reactions

Latest posts